science project for a 10 year old

cathyDecember 12, 2001

A co-worker is asking for help for her 10-year-old son. He has to do a science project of his choosing by the end of January. Any idea where we can look on the Internet for ideas? I don't have kids so I'm stumped but thought of this forum. Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marsteller_yahoo_com

We use metacrawler and google for search engines. I typed in "kids science projects" and got quite a few hits. The library also has books on science projects for kids that we have used before. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 12, 2001 at 5:48PM
ferrifamily_yahoo_com

I have a great one. A boy at my kids school went quite far in the science fair competition with this one. It's extracting DNA from different things like split peas, onions etc. using stuff around the house. This could be the basic experiment with a more in depth discussion on DNA.

Here is a link that might be useful: extracting DNA

Bookmark   December 12, 2001 at 8:19PM
123_123_com

There are a number of books out with food-based science projects. That could be an interesting, useful field of study that will explain why we do what we do in the kitchen (rock candy is a fun one with a delicious result to share with the class, for instance). Check the library and don't forget the best reference the library has--the librarian. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 13, 2001 at 10:27AM
MaryF

The son of a friend tested to see how fast hot, cold, distilled, water melted ice. Something as simple as that could be done. Library would be the best place to start or the suggested search engines.

Bookmark   December 13, 2001 at 5:45PM
socks

Making a volcano is a lot of fun, but to do a proper science project the student needs to follow the scientific method of asking a question, doing research, forming a hypothesis, showing whatever data is collected, and coming to a conclusion. A 10-year-old should have these parts of his project.

There are many, many ideas on the internet and any bookstore or library has books with projects. Children can also think of their own original ideas.

One project I have liked is: How do our shadows change during the day? (Trace shadow on the ground with chalk several times during the day from early morning to last light. Student should do some research about the relationship of earth and sun. Could take pictures of the process and final chalk drawings to be used on the tri-fold cardboard display which he/she will probably be making.)

Projects with plants are always fun. How will lack of light affect a plant? (One plant in the light, one in a dark closet, one in a little light, etc. All plants treated the same except for amount of light.)

Be careful the student doesn't choose a project which is too tricky or requires too many purchased items.

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 1:44PM
western_pa_luann

I agree, socks12345.

A volcano would not be allowed to be submitted in our 6th grade science fair... no hypotheses, no conclusion, etc.

Be sure to follow the rules of YOUR school.

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Mothers of estranged children....part II
I thought it might ease the posting if I restarted...
yoyobon_gw
mothers estranged from adult children
Hi Ladies. I'm new here and there was a post at the...
sadmother.2
Normal Behaviour?
I'll keep this short... is it normal that 10 year olds...
gtrshop
College Tuition Demand Upheld in Court
Surprised I hadn't seen anyone post about this yet,...
jewelisfabulous
Separating because of adult son
We have a 25 yo son. Unemployed, living at home, no...
sanman12
Sponsored Products
Harco Loor | Lab TL 1 Table Lamp
$410.00 | YLighting
Claudo LED Accent Pendant by Cerno
$382.50 | Lumens
Star Trek Final Frontier Fleece Throw
$23.99 | zulily
National Public Seating Science Lab Table 36 Inch H - Chem-Res Top - Dual Book C
Beyond Stores
Eduational Insights String-Along Lacing Kit - 3645
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Science of Sleep Body Rest Back and Knee Wedge Pillow
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™