BM paint for primed MDF trim

scrigityJune 5, 2011

I re-did my living room cornice, baseboard and casings in primed MDF. I used Benjamin Moore Aura Atrium White in Satin finish. My next project is to do the same for the dining room. I am curious before I start if anybody knows of a Benjamin Moore paint made specifically for trim. Aura looks great but was very hard to work with on trim. I love working with Aura on walls but trim was thick and awkward to spread on trim. Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

I'm currently using Ace Cabinet & Trim paint on my cabinet doors and love it. It's a latex/oil hybrid. While I haven't tried it, I believe the BM equivalent would be Advance. I've also heard good things about BM Satin Impervo (waterbourne or alkyd), but haven't personally used it.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 8:34PM
scrigity

Thank you. I looked into the Satin Impervo and think I may try the Waterborne. I appreciate the help!!

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 10:56PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Just be aware, it also has a learning curve to it. It is awesome paint, but it is also somewhat tricky.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 3:33AM
scrigity

Glad you bring this up. Any advice on using Impervo? Since I posted this, I have looked into other options. I am seeing that Muralo Ultra Waterborne Satin Flow Enamel is wonderful to work with for trim. Thoughts?

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 12:44PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Either one is good

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 4:37PM
debbie1000

I am also painting pre-primed MDF trim. BM told me to sand, then use an oil based primer, then can use latex paint. I had tried a latex primer which was very difficult to use. Plus I later found out you are not to use latex primer as water will make MDF expand.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™