exterior color advice

joelgJune 29, 2012

We've gotten to the fish or cut bait point for picking a color in our remodeling project as the painters will soon run out of other things to paint. Our architect has suggested a color that I just don't love, SW 6127 "Ivoire". I came up with another SW color, "Classic Ivory", that I like better. Local opinions here are about split on the two and DW isn't being terribly helpful (by that I mean she wont decide for me:) )

I attached a picture where I colored the siding Ivoire using the SW web site. Unfortunately, I can't find my color on SW web site. Looking for it by name fails and I don't have the number here at work. I also colored the columns on the front porch white since they are getting painted white today. The cedar shakes are going to be stained with Cabot semi-transparent "Redwood", along with the brackets on the porch and gables.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joelg

Here's a picture of the two colors that I mentioned above. The shakes in the picture are half stained with the color I mentioned above too.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 3:53PM
joelg

DOH! Classic Ivory is on the left and Ivoire is on the right

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 3:56PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

6127 Ivoire is the right choice. Would not choose Classic Ivory; too many context disconnects.

The objective isn't necessarily to love the color per se. Rather, the objective is to love the color relationships -- how the paint color relates to other elements of the facade in order to create a pleasing and cohesive curb appeal. And Ivoire does that far better than Classic Ivory.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 5:49PM
wolfgang80

Between the two, I agree with funcolors. That being said, I think you can do better. Between the white trim and windows, the yellow-cream body, the brown shakes, the dark gray roof and the rust brick, I think the exterior is too choppy. I would try, via photoshop, to paint the bricks either the same colour or a darker shade of the siding color and have that color be one that mingles a little better with the stained shakes. You have a very pretty house.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™