Gemini Coatings-Lacquer for Cabinets?

LiliaRothchildJune 28, 2012

Is anyone out there familiar with Gemini coatings-pigmented lacquer? One of the bids we got for painting our kitchen cabinets uses this product. The painter said that they will sand the cabinets down, prime them and then spray them with this. Does anyone have any reviews of this product for cabinet paint? Our cabinets are Oak and we will be painting them white.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

I haven't heard of it, but I wonder if it's a professional grade coating, not just a DIY off-the-shelf paint?

My only concern would be if you want to paint them differently down the road, lacquer could be trickier to repaint over than regular cabinet paint. You probably won't be able to touch up the paint if they chip, either. However, it sounds like they have the right idea on prep work and you'll be getting a durable, smooth finish. Are you okay with the oak grain showing through the paint? Some people don't mind the look of painted oak, others prefer to use grain filler first. Happiness with results is all about managing expectations, and if you're expecting to see the grain, you won't be disappointed when the cabinets aren't as smooth as MDF.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 2:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LiliaRothchild

Thanks for responding... yes I agree about the grain--I am not too excited to see it at all...... Some grain is fine--but too much would really bother me.
Also, I keep reading on this forum and others that Lacquer yellows, has a high number of VOCs and that worries me. I might do a search for a better product. We have small children and I am VERY sensitive to chemicals.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™