Match wall color?

footwedgeJune 17, 2011

What is the correct color to paint the window frame? Not sure if this is the correct term but it's the area indented from the wall and is covered with sheet rock in which sits the window. Someone once told me that it should be white and not match the wall color.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sofaspud

I am a little confused by your description, because you say what you want to paint is covered by sheetrock. Typically, the sheetrock butts up against the framing of the window, and then you install molding over top of the sheetrock and the edge of the window frame, with a small reveal. After the molding is installed, you paint it and the window frame.

As to color, it is extremely common for those elements as well as the baseboards and crown molding to be white, but it is not unheard of for them to not be white.

To inject a little personal preference, all mine are white, but if I painted them a different color, I would want that to contrast with the wall color. That's why white is most common. Goes with every other color, so you don't have to repaint your trim if you decide to repaint your walls.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 2:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

This is actually a fairly common question and I have seen it done both ways. It's really not called window trim though. A window may have casing around it (trim) or it may be recessed into the wall some and then you would have a drywall return there. Sometimes there is also a window sill on the bottom. I prefer to paint it the wall color because, well....it's actually part of the wall. It's easier of course to paint it white though because some may have difficulty making a straight line up against the vinyl window there. I prefer to use blue tape on the vinyl and then blade the tape down securely with a flexible putty knife and then paint.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 8:05PM
More Discussions
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Sponsored Products
32" Blakely Manor Vanity Mirror - Oxford Cherry Finish
Signature Hardware
Tikki Yellow Anna Slipcover
Cost Plus World Market
WonderWall Desk by Blu Dot
$499.00 | Lumens
Valiant Violet Apothecary Lamp-Finial and Satin Pink Shade
Lamps Plus
Wrightwood King-size Khaki Micro-suede Nail Button Headboard
Overstock.com
Antonello Italia | Montreal Extendable A Dining Table with Canaletto Walnut or S
YLiving.com
Koko Company Match Elephant Brand Pillow Sham - 91571
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Casablanca Ceiling Fans Ainsworth 60 in. Cottage White Ceiling Fan 55000
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™