Chalk Paint for this old hutch?

nanny2aFebruary 14, 2013

I am wanting to update the look of this old hard rock maple buffet/hutch. It lives in my kitchen and is such a useful piece of furniture that I do not want to replace it. I was thinking chalk paint might do the trick, but am undecided what color might work well in this room. The kitchen cabinets are painted white, flooring is medium/dark hardwood, and walls still the same yellow shown in this photo. I do not want to have to repaint the walls. Any suggestions on a good color to use in the chalk paints?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
My3dogs

Nanny, Were you thinking of doing any waxing, or just a straight chalk paint finish?

I remember when you painted the kitchen. Your colors are very clean and don't have any aging or muddy effect to them. Is that something you would want to introduce through a wax? I always wax pieces that I do in chalk paint.

I'd be tempted to use two colors on your hutch. A lighter one for the inside behind the glass doors, and use that same color in the back of the open area where you have the three plates lined up.

Not that you are limited to Annie Sloan chalk paints, but I have linked their color chart below.

Here is a link to some furniture painted in her chalk paint, which may give you ideas. In the 5th row down, the center bombe' chest which retains its stained top might be a nice color for you, with a creamy white inside. She used Louis Blue, and just clear Minwax brand wax over it, after sanding some areas lightly to distress them.

http://images.google.com/search?q=annie+sloan+chalk+painted+furniture&biw=1680&bih=874&sei=bm0dUdqYD9Co0AGh3oCQCw&tbm=isch

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Colors

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:14PM
nanny2a

My3dogs, thank you so much for your advice! I have always thought you had such excellent taste! Actually, the yellow of my walls is pretty "muddy", not as clean as they appear in this photo. What I had been leaning toward was a grayish color, similar to the photo. I was just wondering if it would work. I do like your advice about doing the insides and the backing in a lighter color, to help highlight my flow blue pottery more. Do you think that creamy white would work with the gray?

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:40PM
nanny2a

Here�s the gray I liked.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:41PM
My3dogs

Yes, I do think they'd work very well together, especially if you distress both areas a bit and wax them, as appears to have been done in your inspiration pic. It will allow them to blend together beautifully! You might even want to blend a small amount of the gray with the white if the colors look too far apart for your taste.

This is a project that I'd look forward to, and I love your inspiration shot!

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 9:37PM
nosoccermom

How about a light greyish blue? Maybe Paris Grey with Old White?
And please post when you're done.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:06AM
ghostlyvision

I was going to suggest a very pale greyish or greenish blue. I think that would play very nice with the yellow, white and dark blue in the plates.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Dove soap users...
Have you noticed they made the bar soap smaller? I...
SheeshareeII
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
JCPenny Linden Street Furniture Slip Cover?
Does anyone have the JCPenny Linden Street Furniture...
daisymc
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™