Stain/oil for Angelim Pedra deck

silvercanadianJune 18, 2011

We take possession of our new house next week and the builder is in the process of building our deck. I chose Angelim Pedra wood for the deck base and they are using an undermount system to attach to the joists.

I like the current colour of the wood and wouldn't mind keeping it that way. The deck is in the south east corner of the house and it's a corner lot with the side of the house facing south, so this deck will get sun all day and it disappears in the evening.

Can anyone recommend a stain to use on this wood? If I use something clear, will I need to redo it every year? The guy at the store where the decking was purchased, recommended oiling it. Any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

Our deck at our current house is cedar and faces the same direction. I used a supposed high-quality Sikkens stain and I am not impressed with it. This is the 2nd time I haven't been impressed with Sikkens (used it prior to this on a fence) so won't purchase Sikkens again unless for some reason it works stellar on Angelim Pedra.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvercanadian

To update for anyone searching this topic, we chose SuperDeck Exotic Hardwood Stain. The application was very easy and it looks nice; the wood looks like it does when it's wet now which everyone in our family loved more than the look when it was dry. :)

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 2:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newdeck

Hello - we just finally finished having our pedra deck installed and I don't want it to silver out over the winter but it's getting too cold to seal I think - is the product you used just oil that could be applied in colder weather? i am in a bind!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™