painting doors and mouldings

musicteacherJune 17, 2013

I'm getting ready to paint a lot of doors and door surrounds, which probably are in their original 30 year old paint. Assuming they are oil painted, besides sanding and primer, do I need to do something to get rid of oils from hands etc.? (oil or waterbase primer?) There are a lot of dings from moving furniture in and out, can I wood fill outside corners or leave them and just hope being all white will disguise them enough? Last question: What is a good neutral "go with everything not quite white"? I really like their 30 year old patina - just not all the scratches. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

You should wash off the fingerprints and surface dirt with powdered Dirtex, then sand and then prime. Priming over dirt or oils doesn't work because this may prevent the primer from sticking which is really the most important part of the process, especially when you are converting from oil based to latex. You can use some wood filler on the dents and dings, but I usually use drywall mud or some shrink free spackling because it is easier to sand.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:13PM
musicteacher

Thanks Paint guy!

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:56AM
SparklingWater

A great wood filler is Abutron 2 part epoxy. You mix equal parts (vinyl gloves, needing them into a ball, which starts the needed chemical reaction and then you apply and let it dry. Easy to sand when dry and no horrible smell.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™