? for PG-steel doors

mebozoJune 9, 2010

I have three new steel replacement doors. Best job I've ever seen done is with fast dry paint in a sprayer. Many painters don't have the proper sprayer. What is the most durable paint to use and what is the correct name of sprayer they should have? thanx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Keep in mind that a sprayed steel door is very difficult to touch up if it gets dinged or something. I just use a small roller on my steel doors that I paint....leaves a small stipple behind, but they still end up looking fantastic. Nothing beats a sprayed door though for sure. I don't know that the sprayer is that much of an issue and I don't use HVLP's. With an HVLP, the paint has to be thinned some. With the airless, what you are looking for is something that will spray about .3 gallons per minute. I would use Aura or any other high quality exterior 100 percent acrylic paint. Most painters have the Titan 440i or the Graco 490.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 1:00PM
mebozo

Thanks PG. So, you're saying that I don't need to provide a fast dry paint or will it work ok in an airless? Since the doors are painted different colors on each side and they will be off the hinges, I'm concerned the dry time will be too long.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 9:42AM
paintguy22

Well, I guess I do not know what you mean by fast dry paint. Lacquer dries the fastest, so is this what you are referring to? Lacquer is really the best thing to run through a sprayer but is impossible to touch up and it yellows over time like oil paint does. Acrylic paints will probably dry to the touch in under one hour and this is what I use. Spraying each side of the door a different color may be a challenge because you are going to need to spray one side and then tape it off because overspray will make its way around to the finished side when you spray the second color. I would do this by spraying first side, letting it dry for 3-4 hours, then tape off the finished side with low tack tape and then spray the second color. It will work, but may be an all day project.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
Help pick paint colors for exterior 1902 victorian
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
queenie919
Sponsored Products
Standard Catalina Quilted Steel Blue Sham - STEEL BLUE (STANDARD)
$100.00 | Horchow
Virtu USA Bathroom Caroline Parkway 57 in. Single Vanity in White with Marble
Home Depot
Crystals Blue Paisley Shade Satin Steel Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Dayton Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Olde Bronze Mini Chandelier 3-Light
PLFixtures
Desk Lamps: 23.25 in. Polished Steel LED Desk Lamp CLI-LS448037
Home Depot
Rugged Brown - Satin Dark Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp