Teen Driving

sadler_mkbNovember 15, 2008

Is there any way you track your teens driving. My 16 year old has began driving and I want to be able to keep an eye on her. I can not afford one of the devices that cost a monthly fee, but I want something for her to know I can check her out at any time. Any advice is needed!!!!!!

Thank You,

sadler

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
believer

Have you gone on line to check? Our old insurance company had a program where they would have a camera installed in the car and it would record what was going on in the car. If you are in the US the insurance co. is named American Family. If you enroll in the program the cost of the camera and installation are free.

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 12:12AM
azzalea

Guess I'm lucky--in our state you have to be 17 to get your license, and then you have a lot of restrictions for the first year.

Beyond that--just because a 16 or 17 year old has a license, DOESN'T mean they have free rein to take the family vehicle (at least it doesn't to me). Even though dd had her license we STILL drove her to work. Even when she went to college--until she was able to buy her own car--I dropped her off. Several reasons--no way am I giving up my car so a teen can go cruising around the countryside. While the law may say a 17 year old is old enough to drive--it ALSO says that a parent is financially responsible if that teen does any damage with the car. Lastly, and most importantly, just practicing for a month or 2 and passing the driver's test does NOT convey expert driver's status on anyone. I felt my dd needed more practice than that. Even though she had her license, it was a long time before she was allowed to take the car by herself--she often drove when one of us was in the car with her, but we didn't just hand over our keys.

It's your choice to do as you wish, but if your finances are tight, as you imply--you may want to sit down with your insurance agent and discuss just how much responsibility you have if your daughter causes damage, or one of her friends gets hurt while riding with her, or if one of her friends borrows your car (with or without her permission--it happens frequently). Just make sure what your responsibilities are as the parent of a driver who is still not a legal adult.

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 5:59PM
khandi

You could always keep track of the mileage. I wouldn't give her the car to go out with friends, only to run small errands.

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
In-laws that don't get it!
We had to see MIL yesterday for Mother's day. Once...
ilovepink
What do other working moms do?
Ok to start I do work full time but I work friday/saturday/sunday...
divine_serenity_gw
Coping with the Estrangement of Adult Children
Sadly, my adult children and I are estranged from each...
res1705
A harness for a child that old ?
Looking for a safety harness to keep an escapist toddler...
jo
Teacher won't answer my question
This is pretty straightforward. My daughters' teacher...
mdmtnwmn
Sponsored Products
Dutailier Modern Grande Platinum Glider and Ottoman - Espresso & Velvet Beige Da
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Casablanca Ceiling Fans Ainsworth 54 in. Indoor Brushed Cocoa Ceiling Fan 54001
Home Depot
MaxLite LSU4806SU50DV50 4 Foot LED Utility Wrap Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Tom Dixon | Royalty Scent Candle - Large
$160.00 | YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Lanart Rugs Shag-a-liscious Chocolate 5
Home Depot
Green Outdoor Area Rug
$103.00 | FRONTGATE
Miami Beach Surf Drive Wall Art