Shelf liner help!

belladomFebruary 13, 2013

I just found that the shelf liner I put in my new cabinets a year ago is sticking, and I am so upset. They are the white grip type found at Bed Bath and Beyond... I also used plastic clear ones which are ok so far, but am reading here to get the Cushy Cupboards or cork from Williams Sonoma as the plastic may eventually be a mess as well.

Any thoughts on how to repair my beautiful cupboards from this sticky stuff? And what to use now to avoid more problems in the future?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mountaineergirl

As someone else mentioned on another thread, you might try Goo Gone. Or fingernail polish remover. But I don't know what that would do to the finish of your cabinets.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 6:15PM
Bellsmom

I would try cooking oil. Corn oil or the like. It won't hurt the finishes, and fairly often oil will remove the sticky stuff left behind when I soak a label off a jar. After it soaks a bit, try scrubbing with a plastic scrubber.

Then, of course, wash the residue off with soapy water and dry immediately.

If you find something that works, do post the results for us.

By the way, I use Cushy Cupboards and love it on open shelves and in some drawers. Much better than other shelf lining I have used. Much easier to clean than the ridged stuff.

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 10:36AM
jellytoast

Careful with that Goo Gone! I just ruined something last week with that stuff because I failed to read the directions carefully. It can definately damage surfaces, so use with caution. Maybe you can try heating up the shelf liner with a hair dryer ... that works amazingly well to remove all kinds of sticky stuff, so it's worth a try.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Please help! We're getting a buzz--LED dimmer questions
We installed Commercial Electric LED can lights made...
laughablemoments
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
raee - any tips for cabinet maker you recommended?
Sorry, I still seem to be unable to figure out how...
oasisowner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™