Question About Paint Pricing

jillandmattJune 24, 2011

Hello, We are building a new house and are almost ready for paint. Our contract with our builder is for flat paint in the entire house. With three kids I want to switch to a washable flat or an eggshell. Our builder asked the painters what the cost would be to switch. The painter said it would be a $175 per room upcharge. The painter gave two reasons: the eggshell would need a third coat (the flat would only need two coats)and the eggshell is a more expensive paint than flat. Does that sounds reasonable? I have painted with eggshell before and have never used three coats... this is in addition to the drywall primer they will spray on first. I know the eggshell is a little more expensive, but only $5-$7 per gallon, probably less than that with the painter's discount. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

I don't know how you can charge per room like that when each room is a different size, but yes the price to upgrade to washable from flat is usually significant. As an example, I may pay $10-$15 for a gallon of contractor grade flat while a high quality eggshell costs me $35-$50. I don't recommend using cheap eggshell either. If you are going to pay for the upgrade you may as well use a product that actually can be washed and scrubbed somewhat. Also, if your original contract for flat is for same color on the ceilings and walls and you upgrade to eggshell, the painter will now have to cut in all the ceiling lines in the house twice because you are likely leaving the ceilings the flat finish. That's a lot of extra labor there.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

A good Eggshell is ALWAYS worth it, relative to CHEAP "Builder's Flats"!!

However....you may just want to have the cheap paint done, and just plan on doing your own "Quality" paint later...

Faron

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Help with paint color!
My sunroom is BM Chili Pepper, the dining room is BM...
mererx
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Sponsored Products
Nelson | Lotus Table Lamp - Pear
$445.00 | YLighting
Denver Broncos Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Klus B5391 - ECO series Corner Mount Aluminum LED Profile Housing, TAN-C5
Super Bright LEDs
Lily Amber Fusion Jack Bronze Mini Pendant
$223.20 | Bellacor
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolo
$704.99 | Hayneedle
Amphibious Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
Artificial Grass: RealGrass by Real Grass Lawns Flooring Deluxe Artificial
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™