Help me paint my downstairs

smugsyJune 8, 2012

I am moving in August and have a week overlap, so I would like to paint the new place before the furniture gets moved in. So, I am going to be painting the entire downstairs in one fell swoop and need to make some decisions now.

The family room/kitchen/breakfast room are open concept with no walls separating them. There are dividing points though where I can switch colors. The downstairs room are basically configured like a plus sign.

Breakfast Nook

Family Hallway to office

Room

Kitchen

The breakfast nook has three walls of windows. The kitchen has no windows.

I was thinking about doing the family room in two tones of a greige. The back wall has a fire place, so I was going to do that wall two tones darker. The kitchen I was going to do in a creamy white. There really isn't a lot of wall space in the kitchen. Then I was going to continue that white down the hallway to the office. My issue is the breakfast nook. I really wanted to do a warmer tone in there. But it will have two wall intersections with two different colors, since it juts off from the hallway and the family room. Any ideas? Too many colors in one place?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Try posting this on the Home Decorating forum along with some photos.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ricksample

We're in the process of painting our downstairs... it's open concept. We have a foyer when you walk in the front door with a wall on theleft, one on the right. The living room is open to the dinnete section and kitchen.

We painted our base color LA Boulder by Valspar (Lowes)... we love it! It makes the entire house feel so warm. It's a medeium tanish with a very and I mean very sligh pinkish/peach tint.

We do have a couple accent walls downstairs. The first would be our Foyer. It's painted a medium Tan, with a dark brown faux finish over top. In our living room we have a small cherry accent wall. It also has a faux finish (dark red + a very dark red). Then in this room we have dark red curtains from Bed Bath and Beyond.

I don't know... it just looks so cozy now.... like a home instead of a house.... I'll post photos in a new thread this weekend when I'm finished painting so you can check it out. It'll give you a lot of ideas =)

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Paint color choice is holding up the job, would appreciate your help
I know a lot of people ask for paint help, here's one...
peggie123
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™