Parents vs Peers

silverswordNovember 13, 2008

I just read an article on this and actually read a book on economics last night that said the same thing; that parents have less of an impact than once assumed, and things like working outside the home, daycare, headstart, didn't have that much of an impact either. It came as kind of a shock to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Parents vs Peers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mara_2008

Well, imho, a lot of this, if not all, depends on whether parents are actually rearing their children, or not. Many parents today, for a myriad of reasons (sometimes, excuses) are not rearing their children, but have 'farmed out' the rearing of their children to nurseries, nannies, day cares, preschools, schools, after-school programs, camps (even while on vacation), etc.

Even when parents are 'at home' with their children, family members are often in different rooms doing different things and there's little interaction.

Not saying children shouldn't form healthy peer relationships - just saying they do need parents.

I liked the guy's commitments at the end of the article. I think it takes 'intentional' parenting these days to ensure a positive, healthy relationship with one's children.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iloveexercise

Of course peers have more of an impact! Children are with their peers more hours out of the day then with their parents, for starters, while they are in school.

Really sheds some light on that old parent saying of,"I dont like your friend so and so,they are a bad influence on you" doesnt it?

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
My 21 year old daughter
My daughter has her first boyfriend at 21. Now she...
stacey1799
WWYD: Tween Drama: Playdate/sleepover rules?
Hi, I have a Tween girl who is really friendly and...
homey_bird
Mothers of estranged children....part II
I thought it might ease the posting if I restarted...
yoyobon_gw
Nearly 10wks pregnant & have questions
This is my first pregnancy at 24. I don't have many...
LullabyF360
New cervical cancer vaccine - You & Your Daughter
My 16 yr old daughter & I are in the process of...
teaka123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™