low ceilings...paint color

valkyrie4791May 21, 2011

I have an upstairs to paint in a cape cod style home. The ceilings are fairly low and they are the kind that slant inwards for a couple of feet before the actual ceiling starts. Don't know how to describe it but I have a feeling some will know what I mean. Would I be crazy to paint the ceilings the same color as the walls (medium tan)? I don't want it to look like a cave, but the paint lines along the ceiling edges are soooo hard to get precise, even with tape.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

In that situation, painting the ceiling and walls the same color is actually a classic color strategy. Painting all the angles and slopes and walls short and tall one color evens out the visual landscape of the room. That does a couple things:
1) It will make the room feel a bit more open and spacious because there aren't a bunch of lines drawn around the room where ceiling/wall colors meet.

2) The light will play on those angles and slopes no matter the color. When you use all one color, the shadows and different angles of reflection create a rather neat-o color effect. Just as interesting as using a different color on the ceiling but one color is a more sophisticated approach. Because it speaks to the fact that you knew light would play a part and you knew to just keep it simple and let the phenomena of color & light do all the work.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 3:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I also vote for using the same color on everything.

It's easier, and it usually looks better.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™