drywall dust removal

valkyrie4791May 21, 2011

We recently had an upstairs finished in our home. In order to save money, we asked the contractor to exclude painting. He finished the drywall the other day and told me it was ready to paint. I went to paint it today and realized quickly that they had not removed the drywall dust from the walls or the the ceilings (or floors). In fact, the entire area was full of drywall dust to the point that I can't run the AC and it's so hot (it's an upstairs area) that its too hot to paint during the day.

Am I wrong to assume that he should have left the walls clean and truly ready to paint? SHould I ask him to come back and clean up so I can paint--or since I am painting is this technically part of the paint job?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

I have never heard of a drywaller that removes dust from the walls. Some do clean the floors of the dust though and others just don't think that is their job.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 8:02AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I have never heard of a drywaller that removes dust from the walls. Some do clean the floors of the dust though and others just don't think that is their job.

So true.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:53AM
bondrey102

Several years ago I read in a DIY magazine to leave the dust on the walls since it mixes with the primer to produce a smoother finish. Article was written by a professional painter.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 9:05PM
paintguy22

That's impossible. Professional painters are too stupid and uneducated to be writing magazine articles. The guy writing the article was probably just making a point. Most painters do not dust the drywall down before painting. This is just one of those things where everybody says you need to do, and not many actually do...similar to wall washing. If you want to take a soft bristle broom or even a Swiffer to the walls to remove the dust, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, painting over the dust is certainly not going to give you any benefit and it's not going to affect the smoothness/roughness of the walls either. I have heard of actual paint failure from painting over drywall dust, but I'm sure you would need to paint over a pretty good sized pile of dust in order for that paint to not adhere.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 7:47PM
weed_cutter

To clean new walls befor paint I use a shop-vac with a drywall dust bag in it, for a nozzle I use a bristled bare floor attachment from our house vac. If the bare walls are sprayed without backrolling it wouldn't take much dust at all to cause a failure.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 12:45PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Several years ago I read in a DIY magazine to leave the dust on the walls since it mixes with the primer to produce a smoother finish. Article was written by a professional painter.

Baloney

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™