Tomato Paste Question

skeipOctober 16, 2012

I have a Hot Sauce recipe that calls for x amount of fresh Tomatoes cooked down and juiced as one of the components of the sauce. I have an abundance of Tomato PASTE (6oz cans) and I'm wondering how much water I would have to add to come up with a reasonable facsimile to Tomato Juice, or if this is just a waste of a can of Tomato Paste. TYIA.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Teresa_MN

I think the flavor of the end result would be compromised. But who knows? If you have not made the recipe before you could be on to something new! JMHO

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:26PM
annie1992

I think it's going to be too sweet, Steve, but if you're making a small amount I'd give it a try. It might be really good, I like the sweet/hot combo!

Annie

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 10:23PM
centralcacyclist

A quick search found this:

Out of tomato sauce? Grab a can of tomato paste from your pantry, and whip up a quick substitute.

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 2 minutes

Ingredients:

Tomato paste
Water

Preparation:

1. Mix together one part tomato paste and one part water until well blended.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 11:02PM
lindac

Equal parts tomato paste and water are still very thick...I think perhaps you might add more liquid....and not necessarily water.
I don't find tomato paste sweet..?? It's just a concentrated tomato taste....no sweeter than tomatoes cooked way down.
I think it'll be fine.....try it and see.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 11:10PM
publickman

How many tomatoes and what size are in the recipe? Is it supposed to be a watery hot sauce or a thick one? I would be concerned with getting too much tomato flavor into the sauce - I seldom make hot sauce with tomatoes, although I do make it with tomatillos. Do you have a particular use in mind for the sauce or is it supposed to be for a more general use? If you post the entire recipe, it will be easier to help.

Lars

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 12:11PM
skeip

It's something new I found and I have so many hot peppers to do something with. It's thin, and fairly aggressively flavored with other things, onion, garlic, vinegar, carrots, etc, supposed to be a Sriracha type sauce. I hate to waste the last of my vine ripe tomatoes on a sauce where I could get away with a canned product. The can lists the only ingredient as Tomatoes, so I would think that I could thin it down and have it be OK. I may just experiment with it and see what I can come up with. If it's any good, I'll post a recipe. Thanks for the advice!

Steve

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 1:04PM
centralcacyclist

But Sriracha Sauce doesn't have tomatoes in it...

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Waterlogue app
Photo of vegetables for tonight's dinner run through...
bbstx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™