Should I paint the exterior of my house charcoal gray?

devorahMay 6, 2011

Hi all,

I am planning to have my house painted as soon as things warm up a bit. My house is currently pinky beige (not my fault). I am thinking of going with charcoal plus lots of rich cream trim including the garage doors. What do you think? My husband thinks it will be (1) awful looking and (2) expensive to have painted. What do you think? I would like to come to some sort of decision before I ask for bids.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Sounds lovely!

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 8:51PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Darker colors exterior are more of a commitment. They notoriously fade quicker and oddly enough retain more moisture.

Doubt it will cost more to have painted initially -- but you will likely have to repaint in more frequent intervals. While most people can paint exterior on average every 10 years, you'll probably be at a 5-8 year average.

Just make sure your charcoal color is designed to be used exterior. Remember that not all colors can be used exterior.

Aesthetically it could be fabulous. Darker colors are more work etc. but often well worth it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 9:30PM
sandlll

We went from a white house to a charcoal with white trim (not cream) and we love it! We have red doors and the whole loOk came out well. We did it 2 years ago so not sure about longevity... I say do it!!

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 1:59PM
devorah

Thank you, I am going to go ahead with it

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:00AM
devorah

I did it - and I love it!

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 7:58PM
dotcomgone

Deborah & sand111 we are about to do the same. We are going from white with dark green. Painting starts 7/18 and need to pick colors. I'm considering Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal, gray, French Beret and possibly Racoon Fur. Would love to know what you picked and would so love to see a photo of yours if possible. Thx.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 8:13PM
ionized_gw

You are nuts! Someone will come along with a bag of marshmallows, some lighter fluid and matches and your house will be gone!

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 9:32PM
devorah

Ionized - as long as they bring the chocolate bars and graham crackers, I'm okay with that

dotcome - I like raccoon fur - I don't recall seeing the other two you mentioned. My husband wouldn't let me go quite as dark as I wanted to and now he is sorry. We have witching hour which turned out to have some blue in it. I was upset about that, but switched my trim to "pale celery" and they look great together. I will try to remember to get a battery for my camera.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Sponsored Products
Requisite Gray Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Horizontal Zipper Sofa-Bed
Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Enchant Blue Rectangle
Home Depot
Gray and White Mable Brushed Stainless Steel Port End Table
Zuri Furniture
Wakita Rug 4' x 6' - GRAY
$959.00 | Horchow