Aura Paint: Cutting in and when to do 2nd coat?

motifoneMay 24, 2010

Hello

I have a question regarding the application of Aura paint. I know it is suggested you cut in first. Do you cut in with one coat, then roll in your first coat, then cut in the second coat, and then roll in the second coat? Or do you do two coats on the cut in first, then apply first coat of roll in and then second coat of roll in?

Otherwise, I know you are suppose to keep a wet edge and roll more or less in up and down fashion?

thanks for any advice on this.

cheers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decorativewalls

I cut first, dry , paint the 1st coat, dry; cut in the 2nd coat, dry and paint the 2nd finish coat. If it really way up high, someone could get away with just cutting in one time, but that depends on light flow, angles, the MOA, sheen, paint color. Oh and use a really good brush.
best of luck

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 8:55PM
paintguy22

I find at this point that it really doesn't matter. You just want to make sure that your cut-in areas are dry before you roll over them. Sometimes I cut-roll-cut-roll and sometimes I cut-cut-roll-roll. Both ways it comes out looking the same.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 9:28PM
cleo07

Aura's dry time is only an hour. I cut in the whole room working from one direction. By the time I finish, I can start rolling where I started cutting in and work my way around. I take a quick break and repeat, starting in the same place as the first cut in and go the same direction. I typically get 2 full coats of a room done in 4 hours with Aura.

As far as rolling out, the microfiber rollers are amazing and I highly recommend.

I roll out a 3x3 section on the top half of the wall, reload the roller and repeat on the bottom half and finish with 4 ceiling to floor downward strokes over the entire 3 foot section.

Great paint!

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 6:49AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

cleo 2007 great post!

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 6:37AM
abby_gracie

Has anyone used Hush color (Aura)? What is the undertone color and how does it look with limited lighting? I have a high cathedral ceiling with only limited indirect lighting.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 12:49PM
Boman

I realize this is a little late but DO NOT follow paintguy's advise by letting hte cut in area dry before rolling. This is the exact opposite of keeping a wet edge. Cut in small areas, lets say the first 6 feet of baseboard and ceiling and then roll that area out. It is letting the cut in area dry before rolling that causes the picture frame effect we all hate...that and putting the cut in area on too heavy and not feathering it out a few inches to get rid of the heavy edge. Two coats of cutting before rolling your first coat is a horrible idea!!! Like I said, a wet edge is the way to go and this the method mentioned by paintguy would not allow you to do that.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 6:20PM
paintguy22

Boman, go into a Benjamin Moore store that supplies Aura paint and ask them the proper way to paint with it. Aura dries too fast to keep a wet edge and you do not get picture framing with this product if you let the cut-ins dry completely. The cut-roll, cut-roll method has been dead for years, even though many paint stores and people on the internet that don't know what they are talking about are still recommending it.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 11:51PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

I don't believe it's humanly possible to keep a wet edge with Aura.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:23AM
chispa

lol, funcolors!
Go to the bathroom before you start and don't stop to answer the phone ;-)

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 2:26AM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

ROTFL! Amen, chispa.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 3:07AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

"I don't believe it's humanly possible to keep a wet edge with Aura."

I do believe you are correct!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 6:00AM
graywings123

I have been doing it paintguy's way (cut-in-dry-roll) for years. I consider it the best painting tip I ever learned.

Boman, welcome to GardenWeb.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Storing paint for repairs/touchups
I have paint that I want to store for later use. I...
esga
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Onion Lantern Collection Textured Black 4-li
Home Depot
Reel Waterproof RGB ColorChase LED Strip Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
LumenArt | ACL.27 Wall or Ceiling Light
$250.00 | YLighting
Guss Chrome One-Light Wall Sconce
$187.00 | Bellacor
Luxury Cotton 300 Thread Count 6-piece Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Cascade Indoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for: