How do these exterior paints for stucco compare?

f1668065May 24, 2014

BEHR vs ACRYLUX (local manufacturer known for sloped roof waterproofing systems.). I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts & experience on how these exterior paints compare as far as quality & performance or "theoretical" performance.

Real world experience aside, what can I look for in the product data sheets to give me an idea of quality comparisons? I'm also including current pricing for 5 gallon buckets of each to help compare price as well.

BEHR
Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint
$69 per 5 gallon ($89 - $20 until 6/1) or $13.8/ga
http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/270_PS_R811.pdf

Elastomeric
$106 per 5 gallon ($126 - $20 until 6/1) or $21.2/ga
http://www.behr.com/cma/Behr/Marketing/Products/product_sheets/67_68_PS_R811.pdf

vs.

ACRYLUX
Exterior Premium
$119.95 per 5 gallon or $23.99/ga
http://acrylux.com/storage/pdfs/Ext_Prem_Data_Sheet.pdf

Elasto-Premium
$119.95 per 5 gallon or $23.99/ga
http://acrylux.com/storage/pdfs/Elasto_Premium-wall_Data_Sheet.pdf

FWIW...
Behr Premium exterior flat & satin paints seem to have a pretty good reputation with Consumer Reports and that's good enough for me. ;) I'm don't tend to go for CR's Top Rated but rather their "Best Buy" and Behr happens to be both. That said, these 2 specific Masonry coatings were not tested.

Acrylux seems to have a great reputation locally but not the cheapest. At least one local painting contractor who swears by BM says "Acrylux is better but I'm not driving to the next town to get it."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

You get what you pay for, CR's best buy is cheap for a reason, it is CHEAP paint.
You seem pretty set on this Behr, so go ahead and waste your $$

it is $14 a gal verses $24 a gal for a good reason

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 3:58AM
f1668065

You seem pretty set against Behr in general and perhaps CR as well but not sure how helpful that is unless you're willing & able to share these "good reason(s)"...But I hope you feel better. ;)

FWIW, Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel is CRs overall Top Rated exterior paint. It also just so happens to be their ONLY Best Buy "flat exterior paint" because it's less expensive than some lower rated brands but certainly not "CHEAP".

That said, CR actually advises "Skip the cheapest paints. ...we've found that economy grades of paints and stains don't weather as well as top-of-the-line products from the same brand. Pinching pennies now may mean spending more down the road, since you'll need to refinish more often."

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:11PM
PRO

By all means, use the Behr, not gonna hurt my feelings at all.
I was just trying to let you know from 25 years of personal experience

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 5:12AM
f1668065

By all means, let me know from 25 years of personal experience why is Behr "CHEAP" or "crap" as so eloquently described elsewhere?

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:21AM
PRO

Do you see any professional painters recommending and or using it?

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:02PM
f1668065

If you're unable or unwilling to address my original question OR actually be helpful and share some of your 25 years of experienced reasoning, please stop wasting our time.

That said, if anyone else is willing & able to share any helpful experience regarding my original question (re-stated below)... it'd be very helpful! Thanks!

Real world experience aside, what can I look for in the product data sheets (see link in original post) or MSDS (see link below) to give me an idea of quality comparisons?

Here is a link that might be useful: Acrlylux Exterior Premium Paint MSDS

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
How to fix this problem
We bought a new home and waited the recommended year...
pg57
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™