Family dinners?

gwtamaraOctober 16, 2009

Hi everyone,

Our producers are putting together some content about family dinners and would love to get your insight. Feel free to answer any or all of the questions. Any questions, please feel free to contact me -- my email is linked on my member page.

Thanks!

Tamara

GardenWeb Community Manager

Is there a food you associate with a particular family member, and why? What was your favorite meal as a child? Do you cook as often as you want to? And if not, why not? What do you remember most about family dinners when you were growing up? Do you have any rituals or traditions before sitting down to a family meal, or during the meal? (saying grace, turning off cell phones, having kids set the table, etc) Did you have any when you were a child? Do your kids help you cook? How do you get them to help out with dinner?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
finedreams

1.yes, grandparents with particular things they cooked. Grandma -stuffed cabbage, grandpa-weird but tasty dairy vegetable soup (sounds gross but it is not)

2. as a child-fruits, any fruits, same now

3. no, I don't cook as i used to or as I want to. no time, and if there is time it feels like a waste, i could do something else instead of cooking

4. mom's cooking. it is the best

5. no, no particular traditions as a child and none now. i like nicelly set up table though.

6. no my daughter never helped me cook and i never helped my mother. we usually had tiny kitchens and there were no places for more than one person cooking.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 10:21PM
forwhenitrains

Is there a food you associate with a particular family member, and why?
I associate my daughter with chicken noodle soup,because it is all she ever wants to eat!

What was your favorite meal as a child?
Chicken and dumplings or pizza

Do you cook as often as you want to? And if not, why not?
No,just don't always have time

What do you remember most about family dinners when you were growing up?
That my mom hardly ever cooked.Sometimes we had cereal for dinner.

Do you have any rituals or traditions before sitting down to a family meal, or during the meal? (saying grace, turning off cell phones, having kids set the table, etc)

Just that the tv must be off! And yes,we usually say grace.

Did you have any when you were a child? No

Do your kids help you cook? How do you get them to help out with dinner?
My daughter helps me by setting the table and loves to help me bake by measuring ingredients.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 10:25PM
yoyobon_gw

My spoiled adult daughter expects me to do it all, including cleaning up afterward.

I love family meals, but I think that she sees me as a restaurant.

If I had it to do over, I'd drag her kicking and screaming into the kitchen and insist she take part.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
New cervical cancer vaccine - You & Your Daughter
My 16 yr old daughter & I are in the process of...
teaka123
Coping with the Estrangement of Adult Children
Sadly, my adult children and I are estranged from each...
res1705
Mothers of estranged children....part II
I thought it might ease the posting if I restarted...
yoyobon_gw
Normal Behaviour?
I'll keep this short... is it normal that 10 year olds...
gtrshop
In-laws that don't get it!
We had to see MIL yesterday for Mother's day. Once...
ilovepink
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™