Whats the best way to treat Cypress outdoors?

av8rMay 2, 2013

(I also posted this in Woodworking)
Our back porch (1000sf) has beaded board tongue and groove cypress ceiling. There are also 8-12x12 large cypress rough cut posts. The house was built 2 years ago and we are not sure what the painter stained/treated them with but the posts especially had mildewed so badly that you could no longer see the wood grain and the ceiling also had started mildewing on many boards in several places. I used Jomax/bleach to clean off the mildew and used a pressure washer to rinse. I did not notice any beading of water anywhere. The color lightened a little but still looks pretty good. We would prefer a dull natural finish opposed to a shiny finish. What should I do with this now to try to prevent mildew and/or make it easier to clean next time? A sealer or a stain/sealer? What brand? Oil base? Water base? Unbelievably I really cant find a whole lot of consistent info online. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

The only idea I can suggest is to call a cypress vendor and ask. I tried looking into a good way to paint historic cypress by calling paint vendors a couple of years ago and got nowhere. I'll link one place below, but I know there are vendors sprinkled throughout the U.S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin Hardwoods

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™