'ordinary' latex paint over paint-and-primer-in-one?

jak1May 22, 2012

We are in the process of painting trim in an old house. The original colour is navy blue and we want white. We have done one coat of paint-and-primer-in-one and hated using it - it was like painting with glue. And of course one coat won't cover the blue - we expect to have to do three coats. Can we just buy ordinary good quality latex trim paint and go on our merry way? Or do we have to continue with the all in one stuff. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Pitch the " all in one" stuff and get some real primer.
Prime it first , then paint with "normal" paint. Go to a real paint store

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 4:37AM
otislilly.com

there is no such unicorn as primer and paint in one, though they try and sell it. even on the back of its own label says for use over primed surfaces only.
Primer is glue in its simplest definition, thats why its primer used to make the adhesive bond between layers.
over the blue you should have any primer tinted light grey,I agree with christophern, but will add behr,valspar,walmart brand are not quality paints. If you had went to sherwin williams, told them what you were doing, you would have gotten what you needed, and well honestly, probably would be done already

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 12:38AM
Jumpilotmdm

I agree with otis AND also would say that any aged coat of paint that is clean, dull & dry could be considered as near-equal to a primed coat. But since no real weathering takes place inside and you have a fresh coat to deal with the rules change.
Usually compatible latex products will "knit" together when applied soon after as in a 2 coat system. I would be somewhat comfortable just applying a good quality finish coat over what you've done with the idea to do an adhesion test at some point.
Adhesion test: place masking tape [not painters blue] on the finish product a rip it off quickly. Does it pull the top coat off?

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
White Paint is Discoloring to Pink
We have a white painted desk. It was painted at the...
kendog2
Sponsored Products
Oggetti | Magica Drum Pendant Light
$964.00 | YLighting
Filmore 5-light Vibrant Bronze Semi Flush Fixture
Overstock.com
'Choose Happy' Watercolor Box Sign
$7.99 | zulily
Antonne Arm Chair
FRONTGATE
Agee Woodworks Harcourt Wood Fireplace Mantel Surround - HARRISON4840BIRCH
$759.99 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Outdoor Painted Rust Lantern with Clear Bevel
$49.99 | Home Depot
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Chester 1-Light Aruba Teak Wall
$39.97 | Home Depot
Queen-Anne-Style Mirror
$495.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™