exterior paint quote - reasonable?

Greg__RMay 24, 2012

We're getting the exterior of our ~3k.ft. 2-story home painted. The siding is all vinyl so we're only paining the trim, soffits, & gutters + a large wrap-around porch. Talking with fully licensed & bonded painters, I'm getting quotes in the $3k-$4k range. This covers prep, surface cleaning, paint, and cleanup. Typical quoted paint application methods are spray + back roll using Sherwin Williams Duration (or Ben Moore Aura). Our home has steep roofs so all the 2nd story trim will require a harness. Additionally, the home is past-due for a painting so some scraping, filling, and priming will be needed.

1) The cheaper quotes are doing a single coat of the Duration paint. Is this adequate? I want a long lasting paint job. Should I be insisting on 2 coats? Looking @ Sherwin Williams website, they seem to recommend only 1 coat over existing paint.

2) Is the price reasonable for the work being done? These are A-grade Angie's List companies with good records @ the state licensing board.

Thanks!

Greg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

No way to know. We do not know where you are for one and there are another hundred or so variables involved. Personally I would skip the Duration and go with the Aura, 2 coats after priming.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 6:16PM
Greg__R

Each contractor seems tied to a particular paint brand (I imagine they use what they know & they have a good dealer relationship). I agree that Aura is best.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 7:14PM
otislilly.com

25 year waranty on sherwin williams super paint

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:05PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Lifetime Warranty:
Aura exterior paint's self-priming, superior one-coat performance provides a film so durable, we warrant it against chipping, peeling, and flaking-for life-when used according to the label directions.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 4:02AM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™