Antique Fixtures, need a bright gray paint!

kellybeansimpsonMay 1, 2013

I am moving into an apartment in a 19th century brownstone building. The apartment has a beautiful tiled fireplace, original cabinets, and wonderful wall, floor, and ceiling molding (painted white). The wall colors are currently way too bold for me, so the landlord has offered to repaint the entire apartment. It's North-South facing, and I get pretty bummed when a space is too dark, so I'm looking for a neutral gray color that will brighten the place up as much as possible, as well as complimenting the white moldings and antique fixtures. Benjamin Moore would be easiest but open to other brands. Preferably no green hue, closer to pure gray. Whatever will brighten the space. Any color ideas? Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PinesEverywhere

Kelly, I've looked at your photo for two days -- beautiful apartment by the way.

I am currently studying grays and they are tricky. I am fortunate enough to have a Sherwin-Williams commercial painters color fan and I still keep flip/flopping between shades of gray! LOL.

A few things I'll suggest about grays -- think about how a "pure" gray will appeal to you in the winter (especially if you live in the NE or MW). Gray will absorb light rather than reflect it if you go too dark/putty tone. If you don't want a green hue, maybe consider a gray with a taupe hue -- or a brighter gray with a silver cast. Either way ... you may have to paint the trim a white that compliments the gray you do choose (like four shades lighter than the gray you pick).

Good luck!

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™