DS and voice breaking, advice please.

popi_gwOctober 28, 2006

Hi there

How long does the process of voice breaking take ?

Is it gradual or does it just happen overnight ?

My son has had a croaky voice for a few months now, he is 14, and I thought it was just the change to his voice box. But now I am beginning to wonder, he finds it hard to speak out load, without sounding all croaky.

I would be interested to hear from others about voice breaking.

Thanks people.

Popi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vickey__MN

I think it took DS about a year for his voice to completely change. He would sound like a girl for one word then a guy with a really deep voice the next. We tried not to laugh, but it was so comical sometimes. He loved it though when people finally stopped thinking he was his sisters on the phone!!!

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 7:13AM
sweeby

With my older son, it was almost instant and seamless -- almost no comedy. One day, it just happened... My younger son is starting to croak.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 11:03AM
centralcacyclist

My son went from high pitched to low fairly quickly too. Before it happened his voice was higher than his sister's, she has a low husky voice, think Demi Moore. He could make it low when he worked at it like when answering the phone but until it changed completely, he would go back and forth between high and low.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 11:17AM
sweeby

Light bulb moment!

My older son is very self-conscious. I'm betting that his voice actually WAS breaking, and that it just coincided with his "mumbling too quietly to be heard phase!" It's easy to keep your voice low and talk in a quiet mumble, and I bet he mumbled quietly to control/avoid the breaking.

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 11:17AM
popi_gw

Thanks, I enjoyed reading about your "voice breaking" experiences.

I have it all at the moment, the mumbling, the highs, and the very lows, it must be rather annoying for my DS.

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 4:17PM
lindakimy

I'd love to ask my son about this. I bet he would remember it differently. But I can only recall a couple of very minor "breaks" when his voice would suddenly become falsetto. It was over in a flash.

He might tell you it lasted forever.

The main thing is to let the poor kid know what is happening and then be as discreet as you can bout the laughter.

Bookmark   October 29, 2006 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
To parents of other heavy gamers...
Please do not attempt to moderate or restrict your...
sarabera
Normal Behaviour?
I'll keep this short... is it normal that 10 year olds...
gtrshop
Those Annoying Chistmas Brag Letters!!! ugh..
Does anybody get those annoying Christmas letters EVERY...
bulldinkie
Abusive Adult Children
I dont know how much more I can take. I have a 30 yo...
magoo_2006
Mothers of estranged children....part II
I thought it might ease the posting if I restarted...
yoyobon_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™