KILZ� Ceiling Paint with Stainblocking

andrelaplume2May 24, 2011

I have a ceiling to paint and it appears to have a water mark in the one corner. Will this product suffice? One coat or two?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

I'm not sure what product you are referring to, but the latex version of Kilz (Kilz2) won't work. Only the oil based version will kill a water stain.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 10:53PM
andrelaplume2

Can I paint over the stain with the oil product then over the entire ceiling with a ceiling paint? And yes, it was a latex primer / ceiling pain in one...

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 8:55AM
paintguy22

Yes. The easiest way is to just buy an aerosol spray can of Kilz, shoot it over the stain and the paint the whole ceiling. This way you don't have to clean out any tools.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 5:03PM
andrelaplume2

ok, I thought I remembered doing that one other time and then when I painted over the kilzed area the kilz bled thru the ceiling paint...perhaps it was just junky ceiling paint. Any ceiling paint reccomendations while we are at it...there is still the Kilz ceiling paint with stain blocker that I could use (after I Kilz primed the stain), there is Behr ceiling paint....I guess I could even just buy regular behr Flat paint...no?

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 5:47PM
paintguy22

The spot of Kilz may flash some for a while because it will seal that area while the rest of the ceiling will still be porous. So, while it is drying you may notice that spot takes longer to dry. This could show, depending on what ceiling paint you are using, but since it is in a corner it probably won't be an issue.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™