Fluorescent tube lighting in kitchen

Janice5February 3, 2013

I have the dreaded fluorescent tubes lighting my kitchen.
I have 8' ceilings and no island under the light fixture.
I would love to replace it but have not had any luck finding a flush mount fixture that would come close to creating enough light.
Can anyone point me to a reasonably priced flush mount that can provide a good amount of light for my kitchen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427

We had several of those in our kitchen/keeping room when we moved in. We had the fixtures removed, the ceiling patched, and can lights installed. No comparison. We also have 8' ceilings.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:29PM
snookums2

You might need more than one ceiling fixture. How large is your kitchen? Is it modern or traditional?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:30PM
Janice5

We have a u shaped kitchen separated from the eating area by a peninsula.
The working area, where the fluorescent lighting is, is about 14' x 14'.
How many can lights do you think we would need?
My kitchen is more traditional than modern.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:07PM
gsciencechick

We took out the tube flourescent and put in a CFL fixture of similar wattage. I had to repaint the ceiling in that area, but that was it.

Our kitchen is 15 square feet. We also have a hanging fixture over the table, then task lighting in pendants over the sink, and then in the range hood.

I am not a fan of can lighting, but based on what your kitchen may look like, that might work for you.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 8:30PM
dawn_t

I'm not a designer, by a long shot, but I did DIY my kitchen which is 12 x 14.
It has 8 ft ceilings (no island) and a peninsula (no overhead cabs).
What I did for lighting, was a centered semi-flush mount fixture, with 2 matching pendants over the peninsula, a 3-light matching chandy over the sink and finally, the co-ordinating 5 light chandy over the breakfast nook (next to peninsula).

It's good lighting for me, but what really puts it over the top is under cabinet task lightng (T-5's).

Just thought I'd share :)

Dawn

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:41PM
badgergal

In our previous 10 x11u-shaped kitchen we removed the large fluorescent box installed four 6 inch cans in the ceiling. The peninsula dividing the kitchen and eating area had upper cabinets and the sink was located there. We also added a small can over the sink. It was installed inside the short cabinet above the sink and a whole was cut into the bottom of the cabinet for the light. We felt we had more than enough general lighting.
Now that I have under cabinet lights in my new kitchen, I realize how great it is to have that too.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:33AM
tinan

We have those, and we are planning to replace with CFL track lighting. Look for electronic ballasts for instant-on.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:16PM
gardenpea_gw

We replaced ours with a semi-flush mount that holds three 100-watt equivalent CFL lights. We put a pendant over the sink. With those and under-cabs, we have plenty of light.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Downsize master & bath reveal
Hi all, thought I would share one part of my downsize...
justterrilynn
Paint Ceiling Trim/crown color or wall color?
I'm getting ready to repaint my LR/DR kitchen area....
CaroleOH
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™