Painting over cat urine stain

chroniekonMay 23, 2014

I'm remodeling my whole house. The new master bedroom is now what used to be two rooms. My drywall guy repaired the ceiling as needed and then skim coated the entire ceiling back smooth again and re textured. Several spots (10 - 12) about 5-6 inches in diameter are not drying out. I thought maybe my new roof had several leaks. After digging through the insulation in the attic, it appears it is cat urine. I used to have a cat that spent a lot of time up there, but it has been at least three years since any animals could have been up there. I'm now ready to paint. Is there a way to seal the ceiling so these stains won't show through the paint?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

BIN

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 6:00PM
CEFreeman

Whoa....

Get up there and soak it with Nature's Miracle. From above in the attic (that's a lot of pee) and what you can on the walls. You might have to skim coat it again. I would, actually.

Nature's Miracle is an enzyme that neutralizes cat pee. Nothing else (no dogs, etc.) but cat pee. You have to let it dry out, though, before you paint again.

I speak from experience that even the best stain blocker (see above) can't block cat pee. Even one actually made for drywall, i.e. Kilz stain blocking primer. Oil or not. Humidity brings the aroma [cough] right back out.

Did I mention experience?

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 9:36PM
paintguy22

From what I have heard, Natures Miracle really doesn't work either. Cat pee is the most toxic stuff on the planet. I think we should collect it and hurl it at our enemies. I have used BIN and KILZ before to lock it down though.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 8:39AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I think we should collect it and hurl it at our enemies

:-)

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 5:48PM
chroniekon

Thanks for the replies. I purchased some Zinsser and will apply it next week and let you know how things turn out.
Yes, cat urine would be very effective in chemical warfare. In this case, I'd be in favor of hurling the whole cat! But don't tell my wife I said that.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 9:51PM
CEFreeman

I think hurling it at our enemies would backfire in the wind.

However, taking used cat litter and putting it on their vehicle radiators (similar to dead fish or limburger cheese in the old days) or even just hiding it under their car seats would completely fumigate them to death.

Good luck.
Nature's Miracle made the difference for me here in this humid climate.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:43AM
Faron79

I would first use some Arm&Hammer to "wick-out" what you can. Every few hours for a few days, I'd add a little more A&H, and lightly work it in/around with my foot.
Then, after ~ a week, sweep it up. Use a shop~vac to remove ANY&ALL remaining dust.

NOW-
Use the BIN!! 3-to-4 coats!!!
NOT kidding here....

Faron

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 12:50PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Last I heard it was some mold in the attic that's more deadly. At least that's what the ignorant public is being sold by the subculture real estate industry's home inspection and mold inspection. Those sub industries sure churn a lot of $$ to cure attics that have damp spots because the builder followed code.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™