Which to donate--blood or plasma?

beanwabrSeptember 8, 2008

I wasn't sure where to post this at (sorry if it should be somewhere else).

In the past I've donated blood but considering plasma, since I hear you get paid for it. You can only do one or the other. My dh does neither but thinks that if I want to do something, go with the paying one. Any advice? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Depends if you are giving your body or selling it.
Some times and places and for some blood types, they will buy your blood.
I understand that donating blood is less risky ( although the risk is very VERY small) to you than donating plasma where they centrifuge out the cells and return them to you.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 12:58PM
stargazzer

If I understand it right the plasma is taken by a recirculating method of some kind, I think that is why it is a little more risky. I don't mind giving blood, but not plasma.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 1:42PM
bloobird

Keep in mind that while there is no risk to someone donating whole blood, there is a very real risk of a life threatening reaction from donating plasma. (Hypocalcemia from the sodium citrate)

As for donating vs selling: I've been donating whole blood for about 30 years. I'm an O negative (considered the MOST desirable blood type, as it can be given to anyone), but I am not a candidate for donating plasma. Plasma can be givenmore frequently, but whole blood can be broken down into more products to help more people. I have always felt that as that blood (and life) were freely given to me, so I should also freely give to others. Yes, I know the Red Cross and private blood banks sell blood and blood products, but that doesn't negate my part of the gift.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 8:06PM
stargazzer

I would not donate the plasma, to risky for me and I feel sorry for anyone needing a transfusion because my son's wife sells hers. No telling whats in it. yuck LOL

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 9:57AM
garden60

Interesting reading. I just gave double red cells this morning and a year ago I gave plasma. I was donating to the Memorial Blood Bank and because I am A negataive they asked if I would do double red cells today. I had/have no side effects. It did feel a little weird when they were putting the blood back into my arm though. I also didn't know there was any risk in giving it in ways other than whole blood. All I thought about was that I was helping to save someone's life.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 4:33PM
kushy28

This is a very new question.Normally we haven't listen any one donating plasma,all will donate blood only know.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
Separating because of adult son
We have a 25 yo son. Unemployed, living at home, no...
sanman12
New cervical cancer vaccine - You & Your Daughter
My 16 yr old daughter & I are in the process of...
teaka123
Nearly 10wks pregnant & have questions
This is my first pregnancy at 24. I don't have many...
LullabyF360
Abusive Adult Children
I dont know how much more I can take. I have a 30 yo...
magoo_2006
mothers estranged from adult children
Hi Ladies. I'm new here and there was a post at the...
sadmother.2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™