Can green cabbage substitute for red

bbstxOctober 16, 2010

I have a recipe for braised red cabbage that I want to try. It is red cabbage, bacon lardons, and yellow onions braised in chicken broth with brown sugar, cider vinegar, and dijon mustard. When I went to the grocery to purchase red cabbage, all they had was the usual green cabbage (another of the charms of living in a small town!). Is there much difference between the flavor of red cabbage and green cabbage? Can I make the dish with green cabbage without it tasting bad?

Here is a link that might be useful: Braised Red Cabbage with Bacon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelellen

I can't say as I've ever noticed a difference between the two in terms of flavor. Go for it.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 7:20PM
bbstx

If they taste the same, I figure the worst that can happen is the green cabbage will lose its green-ness with the long cooking time, the brown sugar, and the mustard. Since "presentation" is lost on DH, that is not a problem. :-)

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 7:24PM
bbstx

As I thought would happen, the color of the green cabbage when braised was most unappealing. It was a brown mess. Also, if anyone uses the recipe I attached above, you might want to reduce the amount of mustard. I found the mustard taste to be overwhelming. If I were to make this recipe again, I would either cut the amount of mustard in half or just eliminate it altogether.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Another kitchen science accidental experiment
The other day I made a soup with potatoes, tomatoes,...
sally2_gw
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™