Painting vinyl shutters questions

rocky08May 25, 2010

I am planning on painting my previously painted white vinyl shutters black. I have bought Rust Oleum universal paint in satin black. Do I need to use steel wool to rought them up or would a sufficient cleaning suffice? Also, is this the right paint to use? I am removing them from the house to paint.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rocky08

Well, I removed one set yesterday and cleaned with a scrub brush. The paint started peeling off from the sides and some onto the front. It appears they have been painted with latex paint! I tried smoothing out the surface with steel wool. The water hose was even bringing off the paint! What should I do? Just wash the rest of them with a cloth,soap and water and paint over? The paint is not peeling on the shutters prior to washing. I am afraid this is turning into a much larger job than I intended! :(

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 6:41AM
booger3914

I've been contemplating the same thing. I think I will just buy new shutters in the color I want. I don't see paint sticking to the shutters long term, especially the ones getting sun for most of the day.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 6:45AM
Faron79

Well...you've got some VERY good spray-paint! The Universal stuff is awesome. Very good feedback from our clients/customers.

IF it's an easily-peeling Latex paint....hmmmm....I'd maybe do what Booger suggests...just buy new!
UNLESS you're shutters are kinda unique, or you love the style, yeah...buy new.

IF they hadn't been separately painted, you could just scrub-'em clean & use the Universal. You'd have a fantastic "stick" then!
IF they're way up high, then I'd maybe use the Universal gray-primer after the cleaning, then 3 to 4 light coats of the Black.

Faron

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 10:23AM
sziring

I read lots of posts on a bunch of sites all talking about reasons for not painting my vinyl shutters a different color. I still decided to go against normal advise and paint my vinyl shutters a different color. I documented how I did it and will be periodically posting how they held up in the long run here.

http://diy-guide.blogspot.com/2010/11/painting-vinyl-shutters.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://diy-guide.blogspot.com/2010/11/painting-vinyl-shutters.html

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
queenie919
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Wall color for dark gray couch with yellow accent pillows
Wondering what wall color would look good with a dark...
hammy5
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting | Grenada Pendant Light
$161.99 | YLighting
A19 Lighting | Timor Pendant Light
$147.99 | YLighting
Crestview Collection Antique Shutter Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Builders Edge 15W in. Raised Panel Transom Vinyl Shutter Tops - 050051412001
$38.99 | Hayneedle
Stilo 7 Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$234.00 | Bellacor
RION Furniture - Shutter Flat Screen TV Console in Hand Rubbed...
Great Furniture Deal
Trex Dining Furniture Cape Cod Vintage Lantern 2-Piece Adirondack Patio Set
Home Depot
"Blue Jinlu" Original Painting
$2,450.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™