Blind Paint Test Results

ronald107May 2, 2011

Having painted most of my own home (or supervised the work) has led me to research various brands in search of the best paint for both looks and long-term value, and so this pst year I spent some serious time checking out many of the high profile brands available in the New York market.

After conducting my own blind tests, based on both visual and tactical considerations, my research indicates that although Farrow & Ball has some of the best marketing material and color names in the industry, their paint quality just doesn't measure up to their marketing image.� Benjamin Moore's mid-quality line actually was tied with the Farrow & Ball, but the latter cost a full twice the price of the Benjamin Moore!

All things said, the hands-down winner for quality and unmatched appearance proved to be a brand called Fine Paints of Europe. Although it may seem pricey at first glance, these paints are truly the 'real deal' - offering stunning oil paints (F&B dropped theirs this year) and by far the best acrylics I've ever seen. They also offer a water based alkyd called Eco - suitable for both interior and exterior applications. And as far as value, note that their Hollandlac enamel yields over 600 square feet per gallon, as opposed to only 400 for the others. (I believe it's because of the amount and quality of pigment in their paints.)

Do yourself a favor and check them out. I continue to be very pleased with the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Paints of Europe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

long-term value,

How did you measure that?

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 5:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

It makes sense. At over $100 per gallon, it should be the highest quality paint.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™