Inset on island and full overlay on perimeter?

kfhlFebruary 21, 2012

I plan to have white shaker style perimeter cabinets - including built-ins on opposite living room wall - and a shaker style stained island in what is essentially a galley/island kitchen.

I really want a furniture look for the large island 10' x 4'6". Would it be weird to have inset cabinets on the island and full overlay on the perimeter? or might that be a good look?

I would love some opinions from the TKO's, because I may just be on kitchen overload and having crazy thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

I think it will further the look of the island being a piece of furniture to have the doors inset. I wish we had had the extra funds to do that with our island and the cabinetry in the butler's pantry. I say go for it!

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 7:47PM
kfhl

Thanks mydreamhome!

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 1:24PM
lafacia

kfhl, what did you end up doing? In the interest of saving a little bit of money so that I can get the beautiful cabinets I want, I thought this might be an option and might even look great as it would really make the island look like a piece of furniture. Also have read about people doing just inset on top and full overlay on bottom. Not sure about that... But when I searched your post came up. Hoping you have completed your kitchen and can chime in!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Conestoga people, how did you do glass cabs? They don't do glass?
We were getting an estimate for some bar cabinetry,...
happyallison
Fell in love and threw away kitchen design
Gardenweb has been my savior as I struggle through...
beachem
Is this what a mitered granite edge should look like?
We paid our granite fabricators for a mitered granite...
snookers1999
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
How old will I be?
How long did your kitchen remodel take, from the tearing...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™