Patches showing through paint

astevens16May 4, 2012

I'm in the process of repainting a room. I sanded the walls and uneven spots on the ceiling, patched holes and a seam on the ceiling with spackle, sanded again. Thought I knew what I was doing and spot primed over the spackled areas with Zinser, then rolled on a coat of the ceiling paint (which is a very light yellow). Got up this morning, and the spot and seam on the ceiling are glaring through the coat of paint. A second coat is not going to cover it up. Now that I've been reading up on it, it looks like I should have "spot primed" with the ceiling paint itself, not a white primer. What can I do now to cover up that streak and spot on the ceiling? Sand and re-prep? Prime the whole ceiling (and is Zinser ok for this)? Ugh.

Also, since I haven't done the walls yet (which are going from peach to yellow), I'm guessing I should just hit the spackle spots with the final wall paint, then two coats over the entire wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

If the spot primed areas on the ceiling are flashing through, then the only way to fix it is to prime the entire ceiling. Zinnser 123 is a good primer for doing this. The answer to the second question is...yes, spot prime with the wall paint and then apply two full coats.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 2:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

What he^ said

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 4:04AM
More Discussions
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™