Pumpkin Pie spices-Only cinnamon?

Chemocurl zn5b/6a IndianaOctober 10, 2013

When I was growing up and acquiring a taste for pumpkin pie, it was what my Mom made and she never used pumpkin pie spice or the pumpkin pie filling with all the spices. She only used cinnamon, and that is how I have made mine for years.

When I mentioned it recently to a friend, she thought it sounded odd, and thought that it wouldn't taste 'right' to everyone used to all the different spices.

I've baked and shared many pumpkin pies over the years, and have never had anyone mention the lack of spices or that they didn't care for them with just the cinnamon.

I'm considering baking a couple of pies to take to a function, and now wonder if I need to go buy some pumpkin pie spice. I know if there is any pie leftover, I won't eat it. When I once accidentally bought a can of pumpkin pie mix, I ended up giving it away.

So, does anyone else just use cinnamon?

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloudy_christine

You can make it any way you like it! No one else will be thinking,"Hmm, only cinnamon."
But if you ever want to try it with a mixture, don't buy pumpkin pie spice. Use individual, high-quality spices. More cinnamon than anything else. I use cinnamon, ginger, and mace.

This post was edited by cloudy_christine on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 19:24

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 7:22PM
ruthanna_gw

I don't make pumpkin pies but have a few recipes that list pumpkin pie spice as an ingredient. I use this mix for a teaspoon of PP spice: 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1/8 tsp. ground allspice, 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg.

If you like the way your pumpkin pie tastes, others most likely will too. I once read that the canned pumpkin with spices added was developed for women who only baked a pie once a year and didn't have baking spices on hand.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 12:06PM
aprile421

I agree make it how you like it, not what everyone else tells you it should be.

In my pumpkin pies I use Cinnamon, fresh ground nutmeg, ginger and 1/8th of a cup of Molasses.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:03PM
triciae

Aprile431,

Yum - molasses! I'd love your pumpkin pie filling recipe if you get a chance. I love molasses and am always looking for new ways to use it.

Thanks,
/tricia

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:51PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Thank you all. I think I might try a taste test sometime with some close friends...2 pies, one with just cinnamon, and one with the traditional spices.

For now (because I don't feel up to making crust for pies this evening) I've opted to take something else to the function.

Sue

I'll try to remember to report back on the taste test.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 6:10PM
bengardening

My mother made it only with cinnamon too since pumpkin pie spice has nutmeg in it and she never liked nutmeg. It always made her burp and it does the same thing to me. If I make one here at home I only use cinnamon. I don't think I even have nutmeg. All pumpkin pie spice is is nutmeg cinnamon and ginger I think. At work I make my own spice to use in pumpkin pie.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:42PM
Nancy zone 6

I rarely make pumpkin pie because I'm the only one who likes it at our house, I won't buy pumpkin pie spice just for an occasional pie. I make it to my taste of course, with mostly cinnamon & a little nutmeg. I think pumpkin pie spice also has cloves, & I don't like cloves.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 7:19PM
annie1992

I love cloves and always put extra into pumpkin pie, mine has cinnamon, ginger, cloves and a sprinkle of allspice on the top.

I think, though, that you should make it however you like it. I think I'd like the version with molasses, though, so Aprile, I'd like to see that recipe too, please.

Annie

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:39PM
arkansas_girl

Honestly I think it would be much better with only cinnamon. I don't care for any of those other spices. A friend of mine uses only cinnamon in hers because she can't eat the other spices.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 7:56AM
twoyur

I began reading this and wondered what do I put in my pumpkin pie. I know molasses and cinnamon but what else

I make it once a year had to search for the recipe and while I put cinnamon in apparently there is also nutmeg.

It's a recipe I found in a story about a farm from when I was a teen. I didn't write down what book or who wrote it. I just remember asking my mother is we could try this recipe this year and she agreed. It has been the recipe for pumpkin pie ever since.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:34AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Once again, thank you to all for your replies. I'm now feeling much more 'ok' with just using cinnamon, since some don't care for one or more spices commonly used in pumpkin pies.

I think there is more than one spice that I don't care for, but it especially seems when eating pies made by others, I only taste the spices, and don't really taste and enjoy the pumpkin itself.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 9:11AM
cloudy_christine

I think it's nutmeg that many people don't like.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Cool feature I've just noticed (OT)
Has anyone else noticed that you can click on a picture...
sally2_gw
Any ideas for baby Indian eggplants?
I picked these up at Sprouts (there was a large, nearly...
Gooster
Cheddar Cheese Bread
Cheddar Cheese Bread This was a 750g batch - two loaves. Normally...
ann_t
Biscuit Experts
Can I substitute greek yogurt for buttermilk in a biscuit...
cactuscatie1
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
Sponsored Products
Chooty & Co. Macie Zippered Beads Foot Stool - BP13K3061
$48.99 | Hayneedle
3-Pc. Pumpkin Roll Salt & Pepper Shakers
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Bikini Pumpkin 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Pumpkin Bowls - Set of 4
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Accent Rug: Delray Miles Brown 1' 10" x 2' 10"
$28.97 | Home Depot
Bow Bronze Pendant with White Alabaster Pumpkin Glass
$204.60 | Bellacor
Couristan Bar Harbor Stripe Indoor/Rug - Pumpkin Spice
$99.00 | Hayneedle
18-Inch Square Pumpkin and Parchment Patterned Cotton Pillow Cover with Down Ins
$61.80 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™