Berh paint Disaster

gardenandcatsMay 4, 2011

Seeing adds on tv about what a wonderfull paint berh paint is supposed to be. We purchased a bright red to do our living room, hallway and entry way. The red we used had to have a undercoat of a purpley primer which we used. Home depot did warn us that we still might need two coats of the red.

Yes we sure did need two coats of red because the primer we where told to use which berhs computer said to use showed through.

Hubby spent days painting and it looks great. But My gosh bump the wall and both top coats and the purplish primer coat are coming off.!!! Its like rubber paint. Its supposed to be highly scrubbable. I would not dare wipe it with a damp cloth let alone scrub it.

We are so very very dissapointed..Have no idea what the next step should be. No way can you remove it. Hubby says how on earth could we paint over it with another brand?

Any suggestions?? I'd love to make berh come and redo it LOL

We still want red.And we can live with it but for how long? Before it really starts coming off. Or maybe it just takes a few weeks to dry on well?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Depending on what type of Behr interior paint you used, the cure time is two to four weeks.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 9:26AM
gardenandcats

So your saying by 4 weeks this peeling if bumped will stop?
I sure hope so thanks for the info gives me hope all is not lost and that we won't have to somehow start all over

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 5:21PM
badgergrrl

Most latex paint takes a month to cure fully.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 6:39PM
gardenandcats

Well you'd think they would mention that on the can of paint!

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:41PM
paintguy22

It's true, but the curing is a process. This means that each day the paint should be more durable than the day before and it will bond better. Most times when I paint though, the paint is stuck pretty well after it is dry to the touch, usually in 2 hours. I remember a year ago or so I had this exact same problem with Behr. It's really the reason I don't use it....well, it's one of the reasons anyway. I would give it a few days and check it again.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 7:54PM
Faron79

I wouldn't have let you out the door without GRAY primer, and instructed you on how to get an even coat of Red on the wall!!

When you've got a high colorant-load like that, cure and drying times are very loooonnnngg.
* It'll vary with a homes' airflow and humidity.
* The bonding process of paints & primers does indeed take many days...into weeks sometimes.
* Yes...a FULL MONTH (or more) is often the "real-life" cure-out time for colors like that.
* Most people confuse "Dry" with "Cured". Two VERY different things!!

Bottom-line....give it tiiiiimmmmme.

Faron

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 1:29AM
graywings123

I just checked a can of Behr Premium Plus Ultra, and under Dry Time, it says "After two weeks, cured paint film may be cleaned with a mild non-abrasive cleaner."

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 9:31PM
ionized_gw

OP, how much painting experience do you have?

Paint is chemistry. In many aspects of chemistry and engineering, there are compromises to me made. With paint the list of desirable characteristic is long, and you can not maximize everything in one paint.

You can formulate a paint that will dry/cure in an hour (maybe even at freezing temperatures) but you will probably have to repaint very soon or give up something on other aspects. Commercial painters like paints that cover very easily and dry fast. DIY homeowners might put up with slower drying and two coats if the paint will last twice as long. I bet Behr is aimed at the DIY market.

Let us know how it seems after a month!

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 11:55AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

THIS is why you do not buy paint and ESPECIALLY get advise from big box stores. Purple primer indeed! I will say no more.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 6:19AM
gardenandcats

Novice painter that we sure are, it does seem like its getting better.We took our time and did a very nice primer and two coats of red. I sure hope it holds up..

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 12:54AM
More Discussions
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
Sponsored Products
Storage Bins Cubes & Totes: Triton Products Garage Racks LocBin .301-Gal.
$58.80 | Home Depot
Storage Bins Cubes & Totes: Triton Products Garage Racks LocBin .212-Gal.
$43.68 | Home Depot
Acu-Rite 08353 Portable Weather Alert NOAA Radio with S.A.M.E. - 08535
$50.99 | Hayneedle
SentrySafe S6770 Commercial Electronic and Key Lock Fireproof Safe - S6770-CS
Hayneedle
Man Claws
$6.99 | zulily
Measuring Spoon Set
$14.99 | zulily
Flip-Flop Tablecloth Weight Set
$7.99 | zulily
Acu-Rite 08510 NOAA All Hazards Alert Weather Radio with S.A.M.E. - 08510OTP