Odd ingredient in baked goods? Is it just me?

teresa_nc7October 16, 2012

While I'm not a (very) paranoid person, I have noticed this odd "matter" in baked goods for quite some time. Today I had half of a delicious pumpkin bar made by a very good caterer in my town. It was dessert for a catered lunch at work.

Some time after I finished the bar, I noticed something in my mouth that wouldn't completely break down from chewing. It wasn't coconut or a bit of dried batter/flour, but when I took it out of my mouth, it looked a little like paper. Now, I have noticed this before with other baked goods, but not from anything I baked myself. The "matter/paper" is small in size, it will get wet while in the mouth, but it doesn't fall apart like batter crumb would. It has no flavor, but a texture, like I said, like soggy paper. And the other times I noticed it were with cookies, etc. from other sources, not just this caterer.

Has anyone else ever noticed this? And.....what the heck is it?

Teresa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw

cellulose?

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 7:25PM
seagrass_gw

LOL Lindac

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 7:28PM
lindac

I find that in my own baked goods....and it's always a piece of butter paper.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 7:28PM
nancedar

Parchment paper from the baking sheet that got scooped up when the spatula removed it to the cooling rack.

Nancy

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 7:32PM
teresa_nc7

Seagrass, I think it could be cellulose after reading up on it. If I wanted that in my diet, I could just go outside and gnaw on a tree......what next?

Teresa

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 8:29PM
seagrass_gw

Teresa - I get really grossed out reading the ingredients list on a lot of high fiber baked " goods". Bread & English muffins come to mind. Cellulose fiber is almost always listed. Ick, yuck, no thank you.

Anyone here remember paper mache??

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 8:50PM
jessicavanderhoff

I'm with Lindac. The first thing I thought was butter wrapper.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 10:05PM
annie1992

I'm leaning toward the parchment paper, although I've also been guilty of the occasional butter wrapper, LOL.

Sometimes I line a pan with parchment and a bit just seems to stick to the bottom of whatever I'm baking. I try to be diligent and scrape it off with a sharp knife but if I were making lots of something I'd probably miss a bit now and again, especially if the baked goods were a sticky something.

Annie

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 10:20PM
cooksnsews

I'm also thinking it must have been some baking paper that somehow got ingrained in the product. I can't see a caterer purposely using cellulose as an ingredient. I've always assumed that was a practice of big-business-food-manufacturing.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 1:33AM
murphy_zone7

Since it was a local caterer, I would just call and ask. In a non-threatening way of course, or they might think you are gonna sue! :) If I was a caterer and someone found something like this in one of my dishes, I would certainly want to know about it. It may be bad ingredient that they are unaware of.
Just a thought.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:12AM
ci_lantro

From the bit of reading that I've done, cellulose in baked goods is a powder that is hydrated & turns into a clear gel or paste...i.e., it's not like chunks of sawdust in the baked goods. Supposedly useful in gluten-free products where it's used to replicate the gluten of wheat flours. Feel free to correct me if I've made the wrong assumption.

I've never had a problem getting the butter wrapper separated from the butter, even with a Lab & a Sheltie anxiously waiting for me to pass it down! :)....sooo, I'm leaning towards thinking that the odd bit is some stray parchment paper as others have already mentioned.

Or possibly, a flake of oatmeal??? Sometimes when I use whole rolled oats, I'll come across one that's extra chewy & kinda' sharp...like maybe a part of the husk was still attached.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:45AM
lindac

I fairly regularly get butter wrapper in baked goods. My habit is to lop off tablespoonsfull of butter from a frozen stick. That's the way I measure butter....and sometimes I get a little piece in the cookie...not sure how. I have a horror of getting paper in my mouth....so much so that I avoid using cup-cake papers....and for many years I couldn't stand to use paper napkins to wipe my mouth....and certainly not to hold a cookie I might take a bite of!

Cellulose is simply the part of vegetables that is undigestable....also known as fiber. Nothing yuck about it at all...adding it to food is a way of decreasing calories and increasing fiber.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 2:39PM
tami_ohio

Or could it be that bit of dense white stuff in the egg white? I found a piece similar in the pumpkin muffins I made the other day, and remember some of the white stuff being denser than usual. I tried to pick most of it out, but I know I missed some.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 11:21AM
Cynic

I was wondering if it was a piece of that indescribably obnoxious stuff they pass off as coconut these days.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Tried And True "Edible" Brownie Recipe? (Where Legal)
Here is a cooking question, more specifically a baking...
johnliu_gw
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Need help making changes in this recipe
I've been a long time lurker, posted few times, and...
littleonefb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™