Color scheme for small victorian

voveoApril 4, 2013

Looking to get a second opinion on the house I'm buying. I was thinking navy with the traditional red/maroon door. I'm not sure about porch railings or anything either. I was thinking white.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

If I understand correctly, you're thinking about navy blue for the entire body of the house. I would ask if you've ever seen a house - painted - navy blue. Functionally, navy for the body is not a good idea. Aesthetically, I'm reading red, white and blue color scheme - maybe something else to think about a lil more.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:29AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I would ask if you've ever seen a house - painted - navy blue.

I just came back from a vacation to California and there were plenty of them in San Francisco.

But I agree with you

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:15AM
voveo

No I ment shutters, trim , door....

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 8:47PM
82mainstreet

A red door is always good!

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 11:57PM
hayden2

I may be off the wall here, but I'm not sure I would even keep the shutters. When I look at the house, the shutters are all you see now - and only two of the windows have shuters. The upper windows don't. And the door looks too thin and skimpy next to the windows which are visually widened by the shutters. Had you considered painting the walls a more saturated color, and a dark complementary color for the door? The door needs to take more prominance, and I love the eyebrows over the windows, yet you can hardly see them because they don't stand out.

Let's say for example you paint the exterior walls a deeper yellow, remove the shutters, brighten the white paint around all the windows and door, then the door a dark navy? Then if you put railings around the porch, they'd be in white also.

Or you could paint the exterior walls medium (not light) gray, white trim, and a red door.

By the way, I absolutely love this house. You really found a gem. Such possibilities.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:56PM
msjay2u

I love this house I think the shutters are part of the original design so they should stay they just should not be contrasted so starkly. I don't think a light color would work on this house at all. Because of the house to the right and the white house on the left a blue would work perfectly. I would not go as dark as navy. A midtone blue.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:47AM
msjay2u

Hi again...When I posted on this earlier I was doing so from my phone but now that I have a chance to see the house on the puter I love it even more. Where is this house located? If I was looking for inspiration colors for it I would check New Orleans. This house deserves special treatment.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
BM graytint
used it? Love/like/hate it? Feng Shui says extra...
randekasp
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
queenie919
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Twitter Junction Bird House
Signature Hardware
MacMaster | Lotus Pendant Light
$730.80 | YLighting
Cassis Long Gown
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Polaris P043VB Porcelain Vessel Sink Bisque
PLFixtures
Gervin Ottoman - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture