SAH Parents: what do you do?

MimiiJuly 20, 2005

I've recently been hired for a 6-week, full time nanny position. Although I've done a ton of babysitting, I rarely watch any given set of kids for more than 8-10hrs a week, and that's usually broken up over two days. I'm now going to be working with a 5mo old 7hrs/day, 5 days/week. What will I do all day, especially since he naps every few hours? I won't have any housework or laundry to do....what do you SAH parents do with your infants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Are you allowed to take him out of the house? I'd go for walks, join a playgroup, read books for him and some for yourself. See if there are any preschool groups in the area like library story time, the zoo, etc. Even at a young age, most babies like the outdoors. If you're that bored, see if the parents will let you run some errands like grocery shopping, laundry, simple meal preparation.

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 12:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetwilson

I think you'll find that the 7 hours will pass quickly.

I'd go for long walks (great exercise for you!), read books, go to the park, feed the birds, do "baby exercises" and dance around the house.

I would make fun keepsake crafts for the parents - who doesn't love anything with a handprint or footprint of their child?

Keep a small journal to share w/the parents that notes what he ate, how long he napped, what activities you did, etc. - it's nice for the parents to see what the little guy has been doing. You might help them chronicle important milestones - first tooth, etc.

Near the end of the day give him a bath so that he's all fresh and clean for his parents when they get home from work.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Coping with the Estrangement of Adult Children
Sadly, my adult children and I are estranged from each...
res1705
Our adult daughter disowned us...
Wow. Our 21 y/o daughter has apparently cut us out...
baconeater
Please Help !
I have 16 yrs old daughter she move out and live with...
muku
mothers estranged from adult children
Hi Ladies. I'm new here and there was a post at the...
sadmother.2
Adult daughter says actions speak louder than words
My Daughter and I have not had the best relationship...
Drinaz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™