Yikes! Same paint on ceilinging very different. Xpost

leahcateApril 16, 2011

I posted this on decor since it's so active, and some paint color savvy folks hang out there. I need advice, please.

Normally, I believe paint takes on a lighter appearance on the ceiling, and that's been my previous experience.

My painted-today tray ceiling, all in same shade of honey gold as the walls, has reacted very differently to the changing light: Throughout the day it has appeared a whole shade darker, and now in late afternoon it also looks a very different color....cocoa...a taupe shade, not gold. :>/

When the painters return on Monday I'd planned to have them go over at a 50% reduction. Now I have no idea what that might result in...pale cocoa? I don't have the ladder or the stamina for heights to try it out myself....even if I could (paint store closed tomorrow). Hope someone here has more knowledge about this...anyone??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

A color applied to a ceiling can look VERY different from the same paint on a WALL.

It lies on an entirely different "plane" if you will...and receives light only indirectly, unless you have up-lights in your trays.
There's really nothing you can do, since the arc or our sun thru the sky sends differing wavelengths of light thru the windows anyway! Color-temperature changes during the day into evening also.

Regardless....it takes paint a few days to dry thoroughly. The final look of the "sheen" can take slightly longer.

To ME...colors look darker on a ceiling vs. a wall. Again...they don't get the same reflected light as a wall.

Bottom-line:
As the Beatles have said many times..."Whisper words of wisdom, Let it Be".....

Faron

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
corgimum
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Sponsored Products
Gubi Bar and Counter Stool
Design Within Reach
2 Lights Modern White Linen Shade Brass Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Thompson Chair SE by Gus Modern
$254.15 | Lumens
New Traditional Oriental Hand Knotted Kazak 8' X 10' Deep Red Wool Rug H3343
BH Sun Inc
Area Rug: Classic Bijar Sage/Beige 3' 3" x 4' 11"
$89.97 | Home Depot
Flos | Gibigiana Table Lamp
$495.00 | YLighting
Pleat Box Pendant
Lightology
Safavieh Poolside Terracotta/ Bone Indoor Outdoor Rug (2'4 x 6'7)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™