what kind of paint for front door?

ctaylors6April 23, 2011

Hi! I'm going to repaint my front door. It's solid wood and has at least 2 coats of black oil-based paint.

What brand / line of paint should I use? I want a semi-gloss finish, not super high gloss. I'd like to keep the black color. If it makes a difference, the door doesn't get much direct sunlight or rain. I'm in north Texas, so we get lots of heat and humidity in the summers and at least a few weeks of freezing in the winter.

I'm happy to sand, prime, etc. I'm a DIYer but fairly experienced (eg lots of cabinets, some furniture, many rooms). I'm just a little stumped as to what kind of paint since I've never painted any exterior surface like a door (ie higher than normal gloss).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

Do you have an idea of how well the previous paint held up ?
If good, use the same.
Exterior paint opens up a whole new world..Blistering,peeling,cracking,falling off, I've given up in this area.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:51AM
iloverpinkoses

I called my painting store (they are very knowledgeable). Here's what they said:

You can use an oil base primer and then latex paint on top

OR

Oil based paint straight on top of current paint

They suggested an EXTERIOR paint for the door. The door does get hot and cold, etc. Just get a quart made up at Benjamin Moore. How about "Texas Leather" instead of black? It's a gorgeous dark, rich, velvety dark brown. Check it out on their personal color viewer online.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 5:49PM
ctaylors6

Thank you both so much!!
The previous paint has held up pretty well. The door was painted about 7 years ago by professional painters. I know they used Sherwin Williams for the siding so I would guess they used SW for the door too. I'll go by there and see if I can get similar paint.

I'd LOVE to change the color but we just had shutters in the front painted black. My DH had said he wanted a new door, so I told the painters to skip the door. Then after all the painters left, DH decided he didn't want a new door. So I'm painting it. :) That color would look great with the brick on the house, so I'll save the idea for next time.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™