paint color suggestions needed

bkdenverApril 28, 2013

I have a red brick 100 year old cute bungalow house. But it came with this historic barn/garage/sheds type structure in the back. I want to update the look this summer. I like the white doors and white trim, but not so much the red. Appreciate any advice ideas to give this a cooler look. Has a rusted out metal roof, sliding wood doors, metal body. So I'm thinking a color for the roof, another for the body, and then probably still white doors/trim. But I'm open for ideas as I'm really a novice at this. Thanks so much!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
benlinus

first thing is that it depend on the climate that you live in. Is it a hot climate? Or a cold one? A dark roof will absorb more heat than a light colored one. A dark roof in the colder climates will help keep the roof free of ice and snow. A light roof in a hot climate will reflect more heat and lower your cooling costs. We have a white house that has a low-sloped flat roof and our roof is forest green membrane. It looks great!

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snookums2

I would do the roof the same color as the house, especially since it appears they are in very close proximity to each other.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 4:43AM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™