chalkboard paint

rizzyApril 23, 2012

Anyone have experience with chalkboard paint? Pros and cons? I am wanting to do it in our playroom. I am currently thinking a full wall of it (or a smaller area with molding around it).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

It works okay, but not as good as a real chalkboard.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 5:17PM
pattyann_flowergirl

I have read many design blogs that wrote about using chalkboard paint....it is a very popular idea, even in kitchens. Google it and see what you come up with as far as bloggers who blogged about it. I think it is very attractive and your kids would love it.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:24PM
Jumpilotmdm

I strongly recommend it to any family. Having a chalkboard in the house at the center of everything was the best communicator, teacher, rendevous station, human expression station.
I painted a pc. of 3/4" plywood and screwed it to the wall, filler over the screws, than painted green chalkboard over everything. my brother made us a 2 groove tray out of Redwood.
It was great to see the adults reaction to having it as it was the kids. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 10:02PM
rizzy

Thanks! I've googled it and seems like more people Love it then hate it. I was going to do a full wall but now I'm thinking a good size section of the wall and put some molding around it to make it "pretty".

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:42PM
andrelaplume2

dry erase board...can get 4 x 8 sheet at home depot...

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 10:50PM
Carly_C

I agree - chalkboard paint is awesome. I have an entire wall of it in our study. And we don't even have kids! We use it for work to "chalk out" our to-do list and such.

The wall basically looks black and is a very dramatic accent wall.

Do keep in mind that the chalking will produce a lot of chalk dust (or maybe I have the wrong type of chalks?). For us, the dust falls to the floor and I sweep it off the hard wood floors. I like Jumpilotmdm's idea for a tray.

Lastly, you can custom color the chalkboard paint. Check out this from Martha Stewart (of course!)

http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Mixing Paints & Colors
I know I shouldnt do it but I always do - mix paint...
kashka_kat
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™