Repainting Metal Porch Lights

summerstarApril 22, 2011

Our porch lights are nine years old and the paint or stain on the metal has faded and we'd like to repaint them. Does anyone have any painting tips?

I'll see what I can find at Lowes to get them to a dark bronze color like our front door hardware. Anyone have any painting tips? Our old lights faded due to the direct sun they get all day, so do I need to put a coat of sealer on the finished coat to help against fading?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I will paint anything that doesn't move. Are you comfortable with electricity to remove them from the wall - or do you want to paint them in place?

I recently used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Metallic paint in a color called Aged Copper on some flashing outside my house. I don't know whether it comes in a spray can or not.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:09AM
summerstar

graywaings: did you have to use primer on your metal first? What about using a sealer to help with UV fading? I'd be happy if the new paint would keep its color for a good period of time, but I don't know if a primer is really needed.

As far as removing the lights first goes, Husband Dear was an electronics tech in the AF so he's good with electrical.

How well has Rustoleum held up for you? What it an outside application?

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 4:20PM
graywings123

I just used the Aged Copper a couple weeks ago. Yes, it was an outside application.

Sometimes I spray prime, sometimes I don't. My experience is that things that don't get touched a lot seem to hold up well when painted.

If I were painting these lights and wanted to be thorough, I would lightly sand them, spray paint with primer and then spray paint the top coat once or twice. Tape over with blue painters tape any parts of the fixtures you don't want paint on.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 8:32PM
earthworm

Best of advice from Graywings
UV lite may be a toughie
porches do come in handy
Black is our most successful color
I'd like to see home appliances use todays automotive quality paint

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™