Air Compressor for Painting furniture - suggestions?

BoopadabooApril 18, 2010

(cross post with Home Decorating)

I can't wait to get started painting some furniture and baskets this spring. I thought I was going to have to manage with out an air compessor, but DH told me today that he wants to purchase one for other reasons anyway. So, I would like to get one that will help with the painting I am planning. Anyone have a suggestion as to what kind or any specs to get? I am clueless and I am going to start researching now, but thought you might have some suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macybaby

The specs for the compressor depend on your sprayer. Most sprayers don't take that much pressure, but you may need a bigger volume so the compressor is not running.

I use Dh's big compressor for my big sprayer that I use on exterior things - it is not practicle to use in the house. The big compressor is 220 and would be difficult to get in the house, though we do run the hose through the window for using the nail guns inside if we are doing a lot of nailing.

I have a small compressor (110) with a special regulator and filter for the airbrush. This one has seen a lot of duty because it is so much more portable than the big one. However it has a hard time keeping up some of our equipment, so we spend time waiting for it to pump back up.
This small unit would not be able to keep up with my big paint sprayer.

I would get the biggest compressor that will work for the portablity you need. You can always turn down the pressure if you need it lower. That way if your DH decides he wants to use it for something that takes more power (like an air ratchet or a larger impulse driver) he'll have the power he needs.

I purchased a HVLP sprayer ealier this year, but it turns out it would not handle latex paint. That type of unit does not need a seperate compressor. It had great reviews for spray on finishes, and I mistakenly assumed that it would work as it did not specifically say it would NOT work with latex.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 12:51PM
pete978

It depends on the other reasons. If he is going to run some smaller nailers, etc. and will be getting a smaller compressor, that won't help you much and I would look at an inexpensive HVLP system like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: HVLP from Harbor Freight

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 12:59PM
Boopadaboo

Thank you both. I am not sure why I didn't get a notice that I had responses. I am going to check that out Pete.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
Sponsored Products
Keep It Simple Sofa
| Dot & Bo
Darlee Series 60 Cast Aluminum 42 in. Round Pedestal Tea Table - 201060-P-AB
$628.99 | Hayneedle
Adnet Mirror 45 - Tan - Gubi
$879.00 | HORNE
Outside the Box� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Teen Ar
$255.95 | Bellacor
Leland International | Slam 3D Veneer Counter/Bar Chair
YLiving.com
Home Decorators Collection Chairs Nichole 18 in. Silver Garden Stool 1951600250
Home Depot
Runner: B. Smith Bronze 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Fitzgerald Leather Bench - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™