Painting my kitchen - need some advice

raspycatApril 6, 2011

Hi,

I'm planning on painting my kitchen.

The walls have a sprayed on sand-like texture that is very, very rough. If you brush up against the wall, it can take your skin off! The current paint is a latex semi-gloss (don't remember the brand, but it was probably pretty cheap because we were painting the whole house at the time and didn't have much money or know anything about paint).

I'm planning on painting with Muralo Ultra eggshell in a light green color (current color is white). Here are my questions:

1) What should I clean the walls with? I was going to use Dirtex (I wouldn't have to rinse, right?), but the guy at the paint store said I should use TSP because it will etch the semi-gloss better.

2) Should I sand? Sanding would probably just knock off some of the texture, I was thinking.

3) Do I need to prime? If so what product should I use?

Thanks!

Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raspycat

Just as a PS,
I have some leftover Muralo paint in a lighter color that is just sitting around (I overestimated a previous paint job). I don't have any plans for this paint. Can I use it as a primer?

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 3:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Faron79

Hi Raspy!

In THIS case (which you described very well!), I WOULD sand the walls with a pole-sander and 100-grit drywall screen.

YES...You'll have a sandy mess!
The end result?
* A much smoother wall for your skin...AND resale!
* If you have a palm-sander of some type, it would make the sanding a little more palatable.
* Higher areas would necessitate the pole-sander approach.
* Wipe down walls thoroughly to eliminate dust, let dry, and prime. You could use a weak solution of Dirtex for this.

YES..this IS a pain, but when you're done smoothing things, you'll be glad you did!

Primer?:
Any decent primer like Zinssers'123, ACE's Stain-Halt, or C2-One.
Don't use a weak "Drywall/PVA"-class primer for this project. There's much better choices!

Faron

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™