Repainting a bathroom i constant use

sofaspudApril 20, 2011

Hi, folks. I have a full bath in use by young adults who like to take long showers, and it had some peeling paint a while back. So, I scraped and filled with a filler that supposedly dried to a hard surface with no outgassing. After waiting 2 weeks for that to dry thoroughly, I then repainted during a window when the bath wasn't going to be used for a week, using BM K&B paint. Now, the peeling has returned. How do I get rid of this eyesore permanently? Repeat the process but tell them they can't shut the door for 6 months while they shower? (There is an exhaust fan, and even though it is a good Panasonic with plenty of capacity, it can't keep up with an ultra-hot, long shower.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

If the areas you have patched are the areas that are peeling again, then that is because you applied the patching compound to a surface that wasn't ready. Whenever we have mass peeling in bathrooms like this with high moisture, you want to scape everything loose and then sand those areas that you have scraped and then prime. Apply the primer before patching anything. The idea here is apply the patching compound on top of the primer. It's going to stick best to that. After patching, prime everything again and then apply topcoats.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Painting stair spindles in 2 stages?
Carpet install for stair treads will be happening soon....
streno
Help pick paint colors for exterior 1902 victorian
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Latex Paint Care Fee
I live in Minnesota - the Land of 10,000 Taxes. Our...
geoffrey_b
Dunn Edwards Bone vs Bone White
Is there a significant difference between Dunn Edwards...
happs
Exterior paint color help
Can you please suggest some paint colors for this house...
r2d2indy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™