Pittsburgh Paint Question

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8aApril 30, 2012

A contractor I am seriously considering hiring a contractor to paint the exterior of my house. He stated that he uses Pittsburg Speedhide Latex Exterior 100% Acrylic 6-2110 satin finish.

I had never heard of this paint. Is it a good paint? I don't want to have the house painted and then in a couple of years have to have it painted again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

Every brand of paint has upper end lines and lower end (contractor grade) lines. I have no personal experience with Pittsburgh Paints, so I'm hoping one of the pro painters will chime in...however, there was a recent thread on the decorating forum in which Funcolors recommended the Pittsburgh Paint "Manor Hall" line. Speedhide sounds to me like a contractor line, but in the product line up, it appears that it may be middle-of-the-road?

Thread where FunC recommends Manor Hall

Here is a link that might be useful: Pittsburgh Paint Exterior Products

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 11:23AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Forget the Speed hide and go with the Manor Hall

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:47AM
paintguy1

That your painter chooses to use their lower tier (4th from best, second to worst) product on exterior is a red flag. 80+% of your cost is labor - his choice and yours will mean you need to pay someone else to do it again twice as fast compared to using Manor Hall Timeless (their best). Some painters will resort to using lower quality products only if they have been beaten down on price - others will refuse and walk away from the job before they settle for anything less. You need to decide which applies in your case.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:33AM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thank you so very much, christophern and paintguy. After looking at the Pittsburgh Paint Website, I thought the Speedhide was a very low end paint. I will not be having that line put on my house.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 11:18AM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Contacted the contractor and he said that he could use any paint.

Do you think Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburg paint is the better paint.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:19PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

BM Aura

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 2:35AM
Jumpilotmdm

Same is true for all those other brands too. Each company has several lines and therefore quality grades. Ask the painter for some guidance and don't restrict yourself too much. If the painter won't help you decide, find another painter.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™