Is there a way to save this paint?

sumnerfanApril 24, 2011

I bought a gallon of Valspar Signature paint in Portico which I thought would be a pale blue/green. I brought it home and it has a distinctly minty hue which is NOT what I was looking for. I would like to try to have this paint adjusted to tone down the mint. Is this possible, and if so what should I ask them to add?

TIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portico cyberchip

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Go back to Lowes and find a paint chip that you like and see if they can get it to that color. In other words, don't tell them what to add, show them the color you want to get to and let them figure out the tinting.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 4:06PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

A gold star for graywings!! No need to tell a color pro how to do their job. Just keep your fingers crossed you get someone who really is a color pro behind the counter. If anything, might want to start out saying "I have a bit of a color challenge that I need some help with." That gives him/her a chance to tell you if they can help you or if they need to get someone else -- there's often one or two people on staff who everyone recognizes as being really good at mixing color.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 4:25PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Go back to Lowes and find a paint chip that you like and see if they can get it to that color. In other words, don't tell them what to add, show them the color you want to get to and let them figure out the tinting.

Good luck with that!

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 3:51AM
Faron79

Hmmmmm.....

This may or may not be possible.
A drop of Red/Orange or Red-Oxide will decrease a Green hue...BUT...this can only be done once.

How long has the color dried in your space?

Converting a color rarely works. In lighter bases, you're fighting a lot of White...AND...the formula that's been added already.

Sorry!
Faron

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:58AM
andrelaplume2

my experience is that many times, if polite and truthfull, once you pick the color you want they will just remix a new gallon, swap it out and sell the old as a mismatch for $5.

Further, I have bought some of those mismatches and they even adjusted it for me for free. It works great if you are not too picky about a color and know you won't ever need more than a gallon.

Ex: had a $5 mismatch of lt brown stain made a little darker for use on the kids swingset that needed to be restained after a few years.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Repainting recently painted cabinets
If someone could offer me some advice I'd be so very...
deever
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Sponsored Products
Low Voltage Bendable 204 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$54.00 | Lumens
WAC Lighting | Model LED212E- 2 in LED Adjustable Downlight Housing and Trim wit
$135.00 | YLighting
Radial White 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Black Cord
$135.95 | Bellacor
Ren-Wil OL860 Shaken Horizontal Canvas Wall Art by Patrick St. Germain
Beyond Stores
Bright White & Grey Wallpaper R1022, sample
Walls Republic
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Polyresin Solar Powered LED Jeweled Garden Fr
$16.40 | Home Depot
Bella Chesterfield Sofa - COFFEE
$3,799.00 | Horchow
Coppola Table Lamp Black
ModernistLighting.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™